Saturday, January 1, 2022

"Testing, Testing," Scenes J and K

We return to the "breakroom hall - a short time later."  They dropped this after, Shirley says she's faced tougher talk:


SHIRLEY
...Remember when I had to talk to Mr. Ramirez, the Guidance Counselor, what happened then, huh?

LAVERNE
He made you cry and then you threw up in the nurse's office.

SHIRLEY
Yes.  Why did you have to remind me.  The doctor may discover that cruel streak in you, Laverne.

The next scene is back in the "breakroom - continuous action."  They of course skipped Shirley telling Dr. Gentry, "But remember, I can always make wax lips with Isaac Mulligan."

Onscreen, Shirley's bravado gives way to whimpering, but in the script, after the doctor says he just wants to talk, there was this:

SHIRLEY
Sure you do, pally.  Where's my picture?  (SHIRLEY BEGINS TO GO THROUGH HIS PAPERS) I want the picture of my house back.

DOCTOR
I've got it right here.

SHIRLEY
Give it to me.  I want my house.

SHE REACHES ACROSS THE TABLE AND IMPALES HERSELF ON PENCILS.

SHIRLEY (CONT'D)
Okay, I'll be good.

DOCTOR
I just wanna talk, okay?

SHIRLEY LOOKS AT HIM FOR A BEAT.

SHIRLEY
Okay.

For some reason, the detail that Shirley's dream husband is a doctor did not make it to filming.

Although these scenes are somewhat faithful, they are more changed than the matching scenes with the boys.  I like the detail of Shirley and the guidance counselor, although her possessiveness of her house drawing is a bit over the top, especially the impaling.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yeah, it's one of those overwrought!Shirley scripts, probably toned down a bit by Cindy and/or the director.

      Delete

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...