Sunday, January 2, 2022

"Testing, Testing," Scenes L and M

We return to the "breakroom hallway - a few moments later":

SHIRLEY ENTERS WITH THE DOCTOR.

SHIRLEY
He said it was perfectly normal to read Bible stories to Boo-Boo Kitty.  So get off my back about the cat.

SHIRLEY EXITS.

LAVERNE
You talked about me in there.  You were supposed to talk about you.

DOCTOR
(LOOKING AT CLIPBOARD) Laverne DeFazio?

LAVERNE SHAKES HER HEAD "NO".

LAVERNE
No, I don't work here.  Just stopped to rest.  I'm walking across the United States backwards.  'Bye.

LAVERNE STARTS TO EXIT BACKWARDS.

DOCTOR
Too late.  I saw the "L," Laverne.

LAVERNE COVERS HER "L."

LAVERNE
(SHE REVERSES AND WALKS BACKWARDS, AS SHE ENTERS) That's a stuffed cat.

That L-ish scene was omitted.  The next scene takes place in the breakroom, with "continuous action."

They skipped Laverne putting her head on the table and calling herself "dumb, dumb, dumb," but they added her and Dr. Gentry talking about her fear of psychiatrists and her fear of seeming dumb.

Onscreen, Laverne questions why his favorite color is white, but in the script his favorite is blue, so she says, "I like purple but to each his own."  And in the script, his favorite flavor is chocolate instead of the vanilla of the filming.

In the aired scene, Laverne just says she fell asleep, but here's the earlier version:

LAVERNE
'Cause I fell asleep standing up.  Do you ever do that?  (PRETENDS TO FALL ASLEEP) I been workin' here five years.  (HOLDS UP MITTENS)  It is so boring on the same line every day.  Bottle, cap, bottle, cap, bottle, cap.

A few thoughts: 
  • I'm always happy to see more Booboo Kitty backstory, but I guess Scene L isn't that necessary.  And they moved Laverne's fear of the doctor into the next scene, in a different form.
  • White as a favorite color works better in the scene, especially since it allows Laverne to do a visual joke about her bandages.  And I guess they changed chocolate to vanilla, to go with white.
  • Purple is my favorite, but I don't know that it makes more sense than any other color for Laverne.  (It would make good sense for Squiggy, well, that or black.)
  • I sort of wish they'd kept Laverne's boredom at work, because that tells us more about her, including as an "adjuster."
  • Five years at Shotz sounds about right, since the girls apparently started around December of 1956, and this is probably set in the Fall of '61.

2 comments:

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...