Saturday, December 4, 2021

"Squiggy in Love," Scene C

And now we're in the "break room - day":

LAVERNE, SHIRLEY ARE AT A TABLE EATING LUNCH.  LENNY IS AT HIS LOCKER.  LAVERNE IS REACHING INTO THE BAG.

LAVERNE
Len, would you stop it, you're making me spill  my coffee.

SHIRLEY
How was the swimming?

LAVERNE
A little disappointing.  I never saw Ted swim with a tube.  But it turned out great, two in a tire can be lots of fun.

That was exchanged for the voiceover of Laverne asking Shirley how things are going with Carmine.

They shortened Lenny's reply to Shirley's "I'd rather eat turtle food."  They kept only the first couple words of "Who wouldn't?  But how are you gonna get it on the stick?"

They skipped the Squiggy lines, "I know passion puss, but about four in the morning, just after I lugged your china cabinet up the stairs, my legs gave out.  I was lame," and "I'm a bad lad, a bad lad."  Also onscreen, he says, "I must be budgeted.  Thank you for taming me," which was originally "I need to be disciplined.  I must be tamed."

Squiggy slapping himself after Vivian exits was added.  The scene was supposed to end on "Squiggy's lovelorn look," but instead the scene (and act) end on the other three's "forced smiles."

Thoughts:
  • I'm unclear why Lenny at his locker makes Laverne spill her coffee, but maybe his locker smells bad?
  • We get a bit more about Laverne going swimming with Ted, not that I care much about that thread, at least as presented in this script.
  • Turtle-food-kabobs!
  • This Squiggy is actually more subservient and/or masochistic than the one we'd see onscreen.  Well, except for the added slap of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...