Tuesday, November 30, 2021

"The Fire Show," Scenes J and K

And it's back to the girls' apartment, still "night."  The scene is remarkably faithful, although Laverne wanting to keep the 3-D glasses as a souvenir was added.  Scene J became the aired tag.

However, the tag, Scene K, in the script was all dropped.  It's got the same setting, but "afternoon - next day":

LAVERNE IS LICKING GREEN STAMPS AND PUTTING THEM IN A BOOK.

LAVERNE
This time we're getting an electric blanket.

CARMINE ENTERS WITH A MATTRESS AND FLOPS ON FLOOR.

CARMINE
I'm beat.  My car broke down and I had to carry this ten blocks.  Now, c'mon over here and see if it's firm enough.  I wanna go home and go to sleep.

LAVERNE GETS ON THE MATTRESS WITH CARMINE.

LAVERNE
I like it.  It's got a lump in the same place mine did.

SHE GOES INTO HER DIFFERENT SLEEP POSITIONS.  SHIRLEY ENTERS FROM THE DOOR [presumably the front door] WITH HER COAT ON, TAKES A BEAT, DROPS GROCERIES AS SHE SEES CARMINE AND LAVERNE, WHO ARE NOW LOOKING AT HER SPEECHLESS.

SHIRLEY
If anybody wants me, I'll be at the fire station.

SHIRLEY EXITS.

LAVERNE
We gotta stop her, Carmine.

CARMINE IS ASLEEP.

LAVERNE
Carmine?

AS LAVERNE ATTEMPTS TO WAKE CARMINE, WE:

FADE OUT.

I can see why this tag was dropped.  It's not especially funny and it feels contrived, especially Carmine needing to single-handedly carry a mattress ten blocks.  I'm sure the boys could've brought it in their truck, or Carmine could've found another vehicle.  Also, how could Carmine fall asleep that quickly?  It feels like just an excuse for Shirley to find the two of them in another compromising position.  That said, I do appreciate that it attempts closure on Laverne losing her bed in the waffle-iron fire.

The best of what's missing from this version of the script is, no surprise, the boys' material.  Still, I gave the aired episode a B-, and this script was a pretty solid base to work from.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...