Wednesday, December 1, 2021

"Squiggy in Love," Scene A

On February 6, 1979, only three weeks before "Squiggy in Love" aired, its Final Shooting Script was turned in.  Presumably not much changed, but let's find out....

We start in the "living room - morning."  They skipped Shirley asking, "You want ketchup or mayonaise [sic] with your Velveeta?", and then Laverne replying, "Ketchup."

In the script, Laverne says of her date with "Ted Nelson, fireman," "There's going to be a hot time in the old town tonight," while onscreen she thinks it's cute the way he says his name like that.  Also, the script says that the body found in Skolnik's Pond was "Big Mario's."

In the script, it's Shirley who says that "all the zippity has gone of" her "do-dah" with Carmine, while this became Laverne's filmed line about them.

The aired version ends the scene with Squiggy starting to count the seconds, which segues neatly to him arriving at the Pizza Bowl, thousands of seconds later.  But Scene A in the script still has another page to go after his exit:


SHIRLEY
I can't introduce Vivian to Squiggy.  She's gonna laugh in my face.  C'mon, Laverne, let's get to work.

LAVERNE GRABS HER TOWEL AND IT UNROLLS.


LAVERNE
Do I got everything?  I got my towel.  Got my purse.  You got my lunch.

SHIRLEY
Where's your bathing suit?

LAVERNE
My what?

SHIRLEY
Your bathing suit.

LAVERNE
Oh yeah, I forgot.

SHIRLEY
You'd better get it.  You're going swimming, you should have your bathing suit.

LAVERNE
Yeah, what fun would it be without it?

GIRLS EXIT TO BEDROOM.

My main thought is that most of these omissions feel like filler, like Laverne's sandwich ingredients, and even the part at the end, where she clearly wants to skinny-dip and Shirley doesn't seem to understand.  Still, it's nice that the body was identified as Big Mario's.  And I don't get why both girls exit to the bedroom, unless it's that Shirley has to make sure Laverne takes a swimsuit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...