Saturday, October 9, 2021

"The Robbery," Scene E

Act Two opens in, yes, the "girl's [sic] apartment - continuous action."  They dropped this at the beginning:

SHIRLEY
Laverne, I don't believe it.  You wouldn't hold up a grocery store.  You were a girl scout.

LAVERNE NODS, MAKES GIRL SCOUT SIGNAL AND WHINES.

And this was left out after Carmine's entrance in Laverne's robe and fuzzy slippers:

CARMINE
You didn't tell me Laverne was here.

SHIRLEY
Now, now, it's not what you think.  Well, it's what you think, but it's not what you think yet.

LAVERNE
Get him outta here.  (UPSET) I don't want him to hear about... (MAKES NOISE)

They omitted Laverne wondering, "What was he doin' in my robe and slippers?", and Shirley telling her, "Forget that."

Lenny and Squiggy were supposed to be "extremely excited" when they enter.

We lost a further elaboration of the description of the "moll":

SQUIGGY
Only of the cheap floozy bimbo who was with him.  She is about five feet seven and was last seen wearing mousey brown hair, bluish green eyes, a blue car coat, blue dungarees and neat sneakers.  (DESCRIBES LAVERNE)

SQUIGGY [sic]
That could be anybody.

LENNY
That could even be you Laverne.

And as the boys exit, Lenny says, "Laverne, keep your eyes open for a girl who looks like you."

This was in the script after Shirley says that Laverne should go to the police:

LAVERNE
Right.  I'll make my honest face.

LAVERNE MAKES HER HONEST FACE.

SHIRLEY
Who wouldn't believe that?

SHIRLEY PICKS UP THE PHONE TO DIAL THE POLICE AGAIN.

SHIRLEY (CONT'D)
Operator, get me the police.

LAVERNE HANGS UP THE PHONE.

LAVERNE
Wait a minute.  They'll make me squeal on Jake.  I can't do that.

SHIRLEY
Yes you can.  You've got to go down there and sing like a bird.

LAVERNE
You want me to be a stool pigeon, a squealer, a fink?

SHIRLEY
That's the spirit.

SHIRLEY PICKS UP THE PHONE AND STARTS DIALING AGAIN.

SHIRLEY (CONT'D)
Once again, Operator, get me the police.

LAVERNE TAKES THE PHONE AND HANGS IT UP.

LAVERNE
Wait a minute.  Wait a minute.  (SLAPS SHIRLEY)

SHIRLEY
I was waiting.  I was standing right here waiting.  What was I waiting for other than to be slapped.

The exit lines, after Shirley pulls down Laverne's hat, were added.

Thoughts:
  • I've already forgotten, but I think there was another script where the girls were Girl Scouts, as opposed to Brownies.
  • I'm confused.  Is it not what Laverne thinks (about the robe), or not what Carmine thinks about Laverne cockblocking them?
  • What noise does Laverne make?  Is it robbery-related?
  • Onscreen, Laverne would be too distracted to wonder about Carmine's attire.
  • OK, I know it makes the boys extra dumb, but I kind of love them not getting that the description is of Laverne.
  • I want to say that the "could be anybody" line should belong to Shirley, but who knows.
  • I can see why they condensed the stuff with the phone, although it might've been funny.  Laverne slapping Shirley here is just odd, but maybe it's a play on the non-hysterical one getting slapped, which happens in a better scene which also escapes my memory at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...