Friday, October 8, 2021

"The Robbery," Scene D

We're still at the "girls' apartment - ten minutes later - night."  This is what we lost after Carmine heads to the bathroom:

SHIRLEY
And slip into something comfortable.

CARMINE MAKES A VERY ENTHUSIASTIC NOISE AND EXITS TOWARD THE BATHROOM.

SHIRLEY (CONT'D)
(TRYING TO RELAX) Be calm.  Relax.  Take it easy.

THERE'S A KNOCK AT THE DOOR.

SHIRLEY (CONT'D)
(SCREAMS) Who is it?

EDNA (O.S.)
It's me, Edna.

SHIRLEY
(OUT LOUD) Coming.  (HIDES WRENCH)

SHIRLEY OPENS THE DOOR BUT FAILS TO INVITE EDNA IN.

SHIRLEY
(OVERLY CASUAL) Hi, Mrs. Babish, what's shakin'?

EDNA ENTERS, WALKING BY SHIRLEY.

EDNA
Have you seen Carmine?  He was fixing a pipe for me and then he disappeared.

SHIRLEY
Carmine?  Why would I have seen Carmine?  Sometimes I go days without seeing Carmine.

EDNA
Okay, okay.  I just wanted to know if you saw him.  I didn't say you were hiding him.

SHIRLEY
Who said I was hiding him?

EDNA
Nobody.  (NOTICING HER DRESS) Are you going out?

SHIRLEY
Yes.  That's it.  I'm going out.

EDNA
Nice outfit.  It must be something special.

SHIRLEY
No.  I'm just going to the Pizza Bowl.  Sometimes I like to get dressed up to go to the Pizza Bowl.  'Bye.

EDNA
I'm going to see Frank.  We can go together.

SHIRLEY
No, I don't think so.  You see when I dress up to go to the Pizza Bowl... I pretend that I'm going to a fancy night club and that I'm going to meet some mysterious man.  I know it sounds silly, but if we went together it would ruin the whole feeling.  I'm sure you understand.  So I'll just see you later, 'bye.

EDNA
(STARTS OUT) Okay.  Hey, you know you left the shower running.

SHIRLEY
It's Laverne.  'Bye.

EDNA
I saw Laverne leave.

SHIRLEY
Sure you did.  She left.  She just left the shower running to wash the insides of the pipes.  'Bye.

EDNA
Are you sure you're alright [sic]?  You're acting very strange.

SHIRLEY
What's strange?  As soon as my pipe is clean I'm going down to the Pizza Bowl to meet a make believe mysterious man.  I'm fine.  'Bye, 'bye.  I'll be seeing you.  Why don't you go?

EDNA
Cause my face is stuck in the door.

SHE EXITS.

SHIRLEY
I don't think she suspects a thing.

WE HEAR THE SHOWER STOP.  SHIRLEY TURNS THE LIGHTS OFF.

CARMINE (O.S.)
I'll be with you in a minute, Angel Face.

Then Shirley delivers the "love kitten" line.

My main thought is that, nice as it would've been to have Edna in the aired episode, I wish she'd gotten better material.  I do love that Shirley hides the wrench, as if that's all that's going to give her rendezvous away.

2 comments:

  1. I kind of wish Edna had gotten the chance to give Shirley wise advice here TBH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, instead of Shirley hiding Carmine from her. She would've been very wise, I'm sure, but that's not how this episode went, in either form.

      Delete

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...