Friday, October 22, 2021

"The Bully Show," Scene B


THE APARTMENT IS EMPTY... THERE IS NOISE OUTSIDE.  WE HEAR LAVERNE MUMBLING.  SHE KICKS OPEN THE DOOR WITH HER FOOT.  BOTH OF HER ARMS ARE FILLED WITH CLEAN LAUNDRY IN TWO BASKETS, WITH CLOTHES ON HANGERS DANGLING FROM HER MOUTH.  SHE GOES TO LITTLE TABLE BY COUCH.  TAKES HANGERS OUT OF HER MOUTH.  SUDDENLY SHE NOTICES SOMETHING MISSING AND BEGINS TO RIFLE THROUGH CLOTHES.

LAVERNE
Where's my blue turtleneck?  My favorite blue sweater.  Oh, don't tell me I put it in the laundry.

LAVERNE STARTS TO TAKE OUT THE LAUNDRY... SHE HOLDS UP A TINY TURTLENECK SWEATER WITH A TEENSY L.  LAVERNE ATTEMPTS TO STRETCH THE SWEATER BY STICKING HER ARM IN THE SLEEVE.

LAVERNE (CONT'D)
Maybe it will stretch.  No, I guess not.  (RESIGNED)  Aw, I'll save it for Laverne Junior.

That opening was dropped and the filmed scene begins with Laverne hanging up clothes and then Carmine coming in with his cramped foot.

They omitted this while Laverne is massaging Carmine's toe:

LAVERNE
Hey, Carmine, I was wondering if you've met anyone interesting lately.  Maybe someone I don't know about.  A cute stranger.

CARMINE
I did meet a cute stranger.  That girl in the butcher shop was cute and strange.

LAVERNE
A cute stranger for me.  That kind of talk is going to get this little piggy in the hospital, Carmine.

LAVERNE TWISTS CARMINE'S FOOT.  HE GRIMACES.

CARMINE
You got it.  That's it.  But now I've got this pain in my back.

Then the Manxing of Boo Boo Kitty happens.  A lost line is Carmine's sweet "I love this cat."

Most of the dialogue with Laverne and the boys is intact, but they omitted Laverne saying of Mexican Louis, "Sure, you fixed me up with him once, too.  A wonderful way to ring in the New Year."  And then Squiggy would say, "He was a gifted man, Laverne.  Just not much of a talker."

The boys very slowly making their way to the door was added.

A few thoughts: 
  • The opening bit with Laverne and the laundry is cute, although I could do without a reference to "Laverne Junior" in this episode.
  • We get more of Laverne being desperate to go out, and frankly I don't want that set-up in this episode.
  • Sue me, but I like the extra Mexican Louis detail.

2 comments:

  1. The "Laverne Junior" bit is cute but I don't want it in this script pft.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, and it could've been used elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...