Saturday, October 23, 2021

"The Bully Show," Scenes C and D

 

The last scene of Act One is also set in the "girls' apartment - later that night."  Oddly enough, the "Lovely to look at" line that Laverne sang on the original filmed version (preserved on VHS, but not on DVD) is not in the script.  Surprisingly, this is the only change, except for Biff  at the end "looking at Laverne with an evil grin," when he's not showing teeth so I don't think it counts as a grin.

Scene D opens Act Two, in the same setting, with "continuous action," so no time passed during the commercial break.

This was dropped:

BIFF IS ADVANCING ON LAVERNE

BIFF
Now, you gonna take off the dress?  Or I'm gonna have the pleasure of doin' it for you.

LAVERNE
Biff, you're a charmer.  You come right to the point.  And, any other night I would love to accommodate you, but tonight my roommate's here, and she's a prude.

BIFF COMES UP BEHIND HER AND OBSERVES.  SHE DOESN'T NOTICE HIM.

LAVERNE (CONT'D)
(CALLS TO SHIRLEY) Hey, Shirl... (AS SHIRLEY) Hi, Laverne.  (AS LAVERNE) What're you doin'?  (AS SHIRLEY) I'm just cleaning my shotgun.  (AS LAVERNE) Make sure you keep Fritz, our Doberman Pincher [sic] tied up.  (AS SHIRLEY) Don't worry, Laverne.  Have a real good time tonight.

BIFF IS OVER HER SHOULDER.  SHE TURNS SLIGHTLY AND REALIZES SHE IS CAUGHT.

LAVERNE (CONT'D)
I can throw my voice.

BIFF
I can throw people.

This was omitted at the end:

BIFF
He's gone.  [Meaning Carmine]

LAVERNE MOANS O.S.

BIFF (CONT'D)
But the cat's fixed.

LAVERNE MOANS AGAIN O.S.  BIFF SMILES, PICKS UP BOO BOO KITTY.

BIFF (CONT'D)
I don't want to hear a peep out of you tonight.

And the award for Most Uncomfortable Symbolism in a shooting script goes to....

Yeah, Biff is actually creepier in this version.  I didn't think that was possible.

1 comment:

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...