Tuesday, October 12, 2021

"Playing the Roxy," Scene B

We're still in the "living room - a half-hour later":

LAVERNE IS STUFFING HER SLIP INTO HER PANTS.  CARMINE IS TRYING TO FIGHT PAST LAVERNE.  HE WANTS TO GET INTO THE BEDROOM.  LAVERNE IS TRYING TO STOP HIM.

CARMINE
Out of my way!  Alright, where is she?

LAVERNE
Carmine, she's in with the doctor.

SHE GRABS HIS LEG.

CARMINE
I don't care.  She's hurt.  I wanna see her.

HE WALKS CARRYING LAVERNE.  THE DOCTOR ENTERS FROM THE BEDROOM.  CARMINE STOPS, STILL HOLDING LAVERNE.

DOCTOR
This is some neighborhood.  I'm going to do well here.

CARMINE
How is she, Doc?

THE DOCTOR IS STARING AT LAVERNE.

CARMINE (CONT'D)
Oh.  Sorry.

HE PUTS LAVERNE DOWN.  LAVERNE GETS UP AND ELBOWS CARMINE.

That was dropped and the onscreen scene starts with Laverne asking how Shirley is.  After the doctor explains about fugue states, this was omitted:

LAVERNE
I smacked her with a magazine, but that didn't cure her.  Should I hit her harder?

DOCTOR
No.  That only cures Daffy Duck.

LAVERNE
I did everything wrong.

DOCTOR
Except for calling me.

After Carmine says that Shirley hasn't had much of a past, Laverne was supposed to say, "She was really looking forward to the future."

When both girls are touching Carmine, we lost Carmine saying, "Laverne, you're not helping," and her replying, "She said I could."

My main thought is, confusing stage directions aside, Carmine is more sympathetic in this version of the scene, seeming genuinely worried about Shirley and actually objecting when Laverne paws him with "Roxy's" permission.  And I like the "Daffy Duck" line.

2 comments:

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...