Wednesday, October 13, 2021

"Playing the Roxy," Scene BB

No, that is not a typo.  The scene that opens Act Two is labelled BB.  It's set in the "girls' apartment - living room - the next morning":

SHIRLEY IS ON THE COUCH DRINKING A BEER AND READING HER MAGAZINE.  THE ROOM IS FAIRLY MESSY.

SHIRLEY
Boy, I can really write.  Hey, Shirley Laverne.  Wanna come in here and fluff up these pillows.

LAVERNE ENTERS FROM THE BEDROOM IN HER BREWERY SMOCK.

LAVERNE
What's the matter, don't you remember how to fluff either?

SHIRLEY
Hey, some outfit... stinks.

LAVERNE
These are my work clothes...  Remember the brewery?  Bottle capping, all the bottles coming by, pulling out the ones with the dead flies.

SHIRLEY
Are these the highlights you're giving me?

LAVERNE
I've gotta go to work.  Somebody around here has got to earn a dollar.

SHIRLEY
Kid, I like you but your life lacks pizzazz.

LAVERNE
Lacks more than that.

SHIRLEY
You know what Roxy's gonna do?  Roxy's gonna take you out with her tonight.  How about you and me go down to the docks and pick up some sailors.

LAVERNE
Ooh..  I love it down there.  There's a ship dockin' tonight. I keep the schedule.

SHIRLEY
Okay we'll find a couple of swabbies, get them drunk and see how far we can get.

LAVERNE
I'm gonna like you, Roxy.

SHIRLEY
Shirley Laverne, you're really somethin'.

THEY PUNCH EACH OTHER AND ROLL.

SHIRLEY (CONT'D)
Wait a minute.  Forget the docks.  Roxy's got a better idea.

LAVERNE
Better than sailors?

SHIRLEY
Better than sailors.

LAVERNE
What could be better than sailors?

SHIRLEY
Las Vegas.

LAVERNE
Las Vegas.  I've been dyin' to go there.

SHIRLEY
High rollers.

LAVERNE
Seven come eleven.

SHIRLEY
Top shows.

LAVERNE
Julius La Rosa.

SHIRLEY
I know him personally.

LAVERNE
Boy, the two of us on the town.  Are we gonna have fun.  As long as we're back by Monday mornin 'cause I gotta get back to work...  What am I talking about?  So do you.  (THEN SUDDENLY) You're driving me crazy with all of this... high rollers, Las Vegas.  (SHE HEADS FOR THE DOOR)  Boy, a person gets conked on the head and gets a better life than me.  (SHE HITS HERSELF IN THE HEAD)  No, I'm still Laverne and I'm in pain.

That all got replaced by Shirley asking if Laverne is going to work.  

Note that Boo Boo Kitty is referred to as "it" here, rather than "he" or "she."  

They dropped Squiggy's line about the record, "Put it on, Lenny, my boy."

The boys doing stripper music for Roxy was different in the script, and there was some dialogue that would be omitted:

LENNY STARTS TO BEAT DRUMS ON THE BOOKCASE AND THE BOYS HUM "NIGHT TRAIN" AND ROXY DANCES.  THE BOYS GET MORE AND MORE EXCITED.

SHIRLEY
(ENDING DANCE) No, no, no.

SQUIGGY
Yes, yes, yes.

LENNY
Please, ma'am.

SHIRLEY
No.  That's it for the free samples.

SHE TWITCHES OVER TO THEM.  SQUIGGY REACTS.

And a bit later there's the vague stage direction, "Shirley is fondling both boys."

Thoughts:
  • I find the omitted conversation between the girls fascinating, like Shirley as Roxy is Laverne's fantasy roommate, but Laverne feels like she has to be the responsible one now.
  • "What could be better than sailors?" sums up a lot about Laverne.
  • I believe there's at least one episode where Laverne's crush on Julius La Rosa is mentioned.
  • The Ventures did "Night Train" in 1960, and I believe that's the instrumental being referenced here.

2 comments:

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...