Thursday, June 10, 2021

"Hi Neighbors," Scenes J and K

We're still at the girls' apartment, "Saturday (the next morning)," although it must be Sunday onscreen because Laverne said it was Saturday last night.  They left this out after Squiggy asks Laverne, "What's it to you?", about him cutting himself shaving:

LAVERNE    
It wouldn't be anything to me, Squiggy, except you're cutting yourself in my bathroom.

SQUIGGY
Oh, you're gonna bring that up again?  I thought we settled this last night?

Squiggy tucking in the tablecloth was added.  Laverne is the one to answer the phone when Squiggy's mother calls, but onscreen she's more desperate to go to the bathroom and has exited by that point.  They unfortunately omitted Squiggy saying, "I'm just like my father, huh?"

Laverne's line about Squiggy leaving a ring around the mirror was added. They left out Shirley planning to tell Squiggy he has to leave "once he's got a good hot meatball omelet under his belt."

Onscreen, Shirley knows immediately who has to talk to Lenny, but here's the last page of this scene in the script:

SHIRLEY
...I'm gonna go up and just talk sense to him.

SQUIGGY
(BREAKING UP) Are you kidding?  He blames you and your big mouth for breaking up our friendship.

LAVERNE
I feel like an idiot.

SHIRLEY
Why?

LAVERNE
Because I agree with Lenny.

SHIRLEY
Blaming me is not going to help.  We have to talk to Lenny.

LAVERNE
Well, if he won't talk to you, I guess I'll have to talk to him.  (SHUDDERS)

SHIRLEY
Okay.  You work on Lenny... I'll work on Squiggy.

SQUIGGY
If he says no, bring down my playmate calendars.

LAVERNE EXITS, SLAMMING THE DOOR.

The setting of the next scene is "Lenny's apartment," like it's already no longer Squiggy's place.  The first four pages are remarkably faithful, except the great bit with Laverne stroking Lenny's hair and not knowing what to do with the oil was added.  And then this was omitted:

LENNY
And he's such a cheapskate.  He wouldn't even chip in for the pimento loaf I bought for breakfast.

LAVERNE
Look, I'm not defending him, Lenny, I'm just trying to get him off my couch.

After Lenny says he was starting to talk like Squiggy, Laverne was supposed to say, "Look, I don't want to start talking like him."

The filmed version ends with Lenny saying that it's the sad truth that he has no other friends besides Squiggy, and the very last part of the scene was left out:

LENNY
...I guess I should give him a second chance.  Funny thing... I was just getting used to missing that stupid moron.

LAVERNE
Let's go, before I get all emotional.

Thoughts:
  • "Maybe I'm just like my father, too bold."
  • Shirley's meddling, and people's resentment of it, is definitely a bigger deal in the script.
  • Also, Shirley continues to mother Squiggy more in the script, like agreeing to feed him a nourishing breakfast of meatball omelet to start his day.
  • Laverne feels like an idiot for agreeing with Lenny, but she's the one here to realize first that she should talk to him.
  • Yep, the boys definitely read Playboy by this point.
  • The final exchange is cute, but I prefer the "sad truth" ending.

4 comments:

  1. Full on Mom!Shirley at this point, wow. Yep, she's more ingratiating toward Squig here for sure, but they're all right that it is her fault. IDK who decided they should be more firey toward one another but I like that choice better.

    I'm not shocked they're Playboy fans.

    Also aww, Len! He just wants someone to share his pimento loaf with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree about Mom!Shirley, which is also true in the original tag.

      Lenny asks for so little out of life.

      Delete
    2. Like I said, kiss him, marry him, he's happy.

      Delete
    3. Well, in canon Laverne definitely kisses him, so he at least gets that.

      Delete

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...