Monday, June 28, 2021

"Day of the Porcupine," Scene 2

We go to the "girl's [sic] living room - day":

THEY ARE JUST RETURNING.  LAVERNE ENTERS FIRST.  SHIRLEY IS RIGHT ON HER HEELS AND REMAINS SO FOR THE FIRST FEW BEATS.  LAVERNE KEEPS TURNING TO GET AWAY FROM SHIRLEY BUT SHIRL KEEPS POPPING UP IN FRONT OF HER.

SHIRLEY
(PLEADING) Please...

LAVERNE
No!!

SHIRLEY
Please...

LAVERNE
No!!!  Will you stop pleasing???

SHIRLEY
No!!!  Laverne, I just don't understand this.  By the time your vacation comes around, you'll have enough money for the trip, so what's the problem?

LAVERNE
(UNEASY, LIKE SHE'S HIDING SOMETHING) I don't know, Shirl.  It just doesn't seem like a good idea.

SHIRLEY
How can it not [underline handwritten in] be a good idea to have our own car?

LAVERNE
It just isn't.  So many things can happen.

SHIRLEY
Like what?

LAVERNE
Oh, like forgetting where you parked in a strange neighborhood, or running out of gas on the highway.

SHIRLEY
(NOT BUYING THIS) Laverne...

LAVERNE
Well, what about all the enemies you make when everyone starts asking you to borrow it?

SHIRLEY
Laverne, what's the real reason?

LAVERNE
What real reason?

SHIRLEY
The real reason why you keep looking for crazy reasons not to get this car.

LAVERNE
Oh, that real reason.

SHIRLEY NODS.  LAVERNE SUMMONS HER COURAGE, THEN, 

LAVERNE
Shirl, the real reason is...  No, I can't say it...  I'm too embarrassed.

SHIRLEY
Laverne!

LAVERNE
The real reason is... Can't we talk about this later?

SHIRLEY
Laverne!

LAVERNE
Okay.  The real reason is: I can't drive.

SHIRLEY
I know you don't have a driver's license, but you can learn!


SHIRLEY
Yeah.

LAVERNE
Remember how every time he was in some high place he would start to get weird?

SHIRLEY
Uh huh.

LAVERNE
Well, I've got auto-go!  Every time I try to drive a car I get weird.  Driving scares me!

SHIRLEY
You can overcome that!

LAVERNE
No, Shirl.  I can't.  I tried learning in an empty lot once and I almost got sick.

SHIRLEY
Laverne, are you sure it's that bad?

LAVERNE
Shirl, remember the time I had that nightmare about the giant thing that crushed me and trampled me and left me all in little pieces, and I told you it was a monster?

SHIRLEY
Yeah?

LAVENE
That monster was a Buick.

SHIRLEY
Well, I guess that rules out your driving.

LAVERNE
Yeah, I'm sorry, Shirl.  It's just one of those things.

SHIRLEY
But it doesn't mean you can't own a car.

LAVERNE
Huh?

SHIRLEY
Look.  We go just about every place together, anyway, so instead of me doing half the driving and you doing half the driving, I'll do all the driving.

LAVERNE
But what about the times I want to do something that you don't want to do?

SHIRLEY
I'll drive you.

LAVERNE
Wherever I want to go?

SHIRLEY
Wherever you want to go

LAVERNE
No you won't.  You'll get sick of it in a week!

SHIRLEY
I wouldn't.  You have my word.  I'll take you wherever you want to go.  It'll be just like driving without having to drive.

LAVERNE
(STARTING TO COME AROUND) Yeah?  Wherever I want to go???

SHIRLEY
I promise.

LAVERNE
Could I sit in back and say, "Home, Shirley!"?

SHIRLEY
(SHOWING SOME HESITANCY) Ahhh... all right, but I'm not gonna wear a hat.

LAVERNE
Okay...okay.

SHIRLEY
Then you'll go halfsies with me?

LAVERNE
I guess so.  It's against my better judgment, but I will...

SHIRLEY
Great!  You won't regret this.

HUGS LAVERNE AND THEN GOES TO THE PHONE.

LAVERNE
Who you calling?

SHIRLEY
Mr. Beeham.  I'm gonna tell him we're buying "Little Rollo!"

LAVERNE
Yeah, you do that.  (TAKES A STEP AND THEN STOPS)  Little Rollo???

Thoughts:
  • This scene is definitely less marked up, which I think lends support to my Starsky & Hutch = Lander & McKean theory, since they would be more interested in working on a scene with the boys.
  • Again, if this scene had made it in, it would've needed a lot of trimming, this time because it takes so long to get to Laverne's not terribly shocking secret.
  • Laverne sure has a wide range of fears for someone so tough.
  • Well, Shirley offering to chauffeur Laverne around is probably not the solution you would expect, based on the filmed episode, or the characters as established, but we'll see how that works out in future scenes.
  • Little Rollo???

2 comments:

  1. I like "remember Jimmy Stewart in 'Vertigo'." Feels a very them comparison. Wow, it's interesting how this went in a whole different direction in the planning stages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a different direction. It takes awhile until we're on somewhat familiar territory.

      Delete

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...