Wednesday, February 24, 2021

"Please Don't Feed the Buzzards," Scene D

Act Two opens the next morning:

LENNY AND SQUIGGY ARE WANDERING IN THE DESERT.

LENNY
I think we're lost.

SQUIGGY
(PANICKING) I think we're lost?  I think we're lost?!!  Why don't you worry about yourself for a change.

LENNY
I think we're lost.

SQUIGGY
Who cares?  We're lost.

Squiggy panicking was, well, lost and they skipped to his line about what a bad idea it was to leave a trail of sand.  The next couple pages (including Lenny whining) made it in with minor modifications.  Then this exchange was omitted:

LENNY
But I'm thirsty.  You got any cups?

SQUIGGY
What do we need cups for?

LENNY
Beats me.  I'm just trying to keep a pleasant conversational flow going.  You're the one who drank all the water.  I need something to drink.

SQUIGGY
"I, I, I."  You're really a member of the "We Generation," aren't you?"

Then Squiggy makes the suggestion to think of something that will make him drool, so Lenny says he'll think about water.  For some reason, the filmed version has a brief time dissolve, so that Squiggy can tan himself.  When Rhonda appears, she was supposed to sing, "Cool, cool water."

Interestingly, when Squiggy tells Lenny it's a mirage, it was supposed to be Lenny saying that Rhonda almost touched him, rather than him almost touching her.  In the episode, Lenny says it's on the face, so Squiggy says (since Lenny is lying down), it must be a short woman.  But in the script, when Lenny says she almost touched him on the face, Squiggy tells him, "You got a very clean imagination," which is kind of adorable.

And that's about it for changes.

6 comments:

  1. That 'We Generation' joke is anachronistic but funny.

    Rhonda sings that in the ep!

    But in the script, when Lenny says she almost touched him on the face, Squiggy tells him, "You got a very clean imagination," which is kind of adorable.

    Oh my God, I love that! (And he would, mostly)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's a bit like Squiggy calling Lenny selfish in "The Driving Test," and earlier in this script.

    That line and the one about tanning I can totally picture MMK and DLL playing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really can. Why couldn't this author do the whole freaking season?

      YEP!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    3. It's two authors but yes, another dozen or so scripts would've helped. (The original "Baby Show" is a lot of fun, but obviously that wasn't going to happen.)

      Delete

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...