Tuesday, February 23, 2021

"Please Don't Feed the Buzzards," Scene C

The next several scenes are set "EXT. DESERT," and this one is in the "late afternoon":

FRANK, CARMINE, AND SQUIGGY ARE WALKING THROUGH THE DESERT, IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE.  LENNY LOOKS LIKE A PACK MULE, AS HE IS CARRYING ALL THE GEAR.

That is what we see, but there's some added dialogue about Squiggy eating all the food.  Here how the dialogue goes in the script:

FRANK
Running out of gas in the middle of the desert.  What a stupid thing to do.

SQUIGGY 
In this dog meets dog world, you do what you gotta do.

LENNY
Well, my dogs are killin' me.

CARMINE
What did you expect walking barefoot?

LENNY
I don't want to get sand in my shoes.  All right with you, Captain Cactus?

They kept the "dog meets dog world" line but not the rest.  Then the next page made it in until we hit this:

CARMINE
Hey, pass me the water, Squiggy.

FRANK
Go easy on it.  We could be here a long time.

SQUIGGY
Yeah, but if we suck it right down, we won't have to worry about it.

FRANK REACTS AND LOOKS AROUND.

FRANK
Stranded, for who knows how long -- with you guys.  I got it!  I died and this is my punishment.

And when Carmine tells Frank that this is beginning to look like a bad idea, Squiggy tells him, "Oh yeah?   Well, you ain't exactly the life of Death Valley."

The rest of the scene made it in with minor modifications.  So far, surprise!Shirley aside, this script is mostly what we'd see months later.  I'm OK with that, however, because it is laugh-out-loud funny.  It is interesting though that they made Squiggy more selfish right off in the filmed version.  And, yep, Lenny deliberately was supposed to look like a pack mule, which McKean does well.

Anyway, this ends Act I and there is indeed a commercial break after Squiggy schemes to ditch Frank and Carmine the next morning and Lenny agrees.

2 comments:

  1. Stranded, for who knows how long -- with you guys. I got it! I died and this is my punishment.

    This episode is such a treat.

    ReplyDelete

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...