Friday, March 27, 2020

"The Laverne & Shirley Reunion" (1995)

OK, here we go, three parts in decent condition, from Youtube....

I won't comment on every little thing, but I should note that Henry Winkler does the introduction after the introduction.

Lots and lots of clips.

I disagree that they were at their best when they were fighting.  I usually enjoyed it more when they teamed up.

Looks like the bloopers will be sprinkled throughout the show.

Um, Cindy, there were times when it was more than just talk about sex.

"The longest unconsummated romance in television history."  Um, Eddie, Tony Micelli and Angela Bower would like a word with you.

Penny brings up class issues.

I hadn't actually seen the part of the Happy Days episode before the girls show up in, oh, centuries.  I like the bit with the telephone call.

"The most lovable and yet repulsive characters on television"-- David L. Lander describing Lenny & Squiggy

It's kind of sweet that 1995 Cindy describes David and Michael as "those boys."

They keep referring to each other by their real names rather than character names.

I've seen this batch of bloopers as a separate Youtube clip.

Apparently 1995 Penny is not, as she would in later interviews, going to say it was a bad idea to move the characters to California.

Cindy explains why Shirley left, leaving out the contract dispute and all that.

They can't get the five of them together in a room in '95 until the last minute?

I would've liked to have had them talk about Frank and Edna, or simply talk more.  And there should've been more about all the relationships in the clips, not just slapstick.  But oh well.

It looks like it's the 2002 reunion that has the really crappy copy on Youtube, but maybe I'll see it someday.

7 comments:

  1. Yep, I definitely remembr the second reunion being better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Also to be fair to EM, at least Tony and Angela got to consummate their relationship!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Who's the Boss? was ambiguous about that, although they did live together in Iowa for awhile. On the other hand, their first kiss was when Tony was 11 and Angela was 13, so consummation took almost thirty years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *nods!* True! I'd always assumed that it happened, we just never quite got direct confirmation.

      Delete
    2. Apparently (by which I mean, I remember uber-fans discussing it as an actual from the horse's mouth statement), Tony Danza thought it would hurt the show's "wholesome" image if there was direct confirmation. This despite the fact that both characters clearly had sex with other people during the course of the show, and the series was driven by "will they or won't they?" for these two characters, who clearly loved each other emotionally and physically. In that fandom, it's assumed that at the latest T & A got together in Iowa.

      Delete
    3. Huh! things I didn't know! I haven't watched the show since I was a wee tot.

      Delete
    4. It's worth revisiting. (I LOLed when there was a "Mrs. Rossini" in "A Visit to the Cemetery.")

      Delete

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...