Wednesday, May 4, 2022

"The Mummy's Bride," Scenes J and K

We go to the "hospital room - continuous - night."  This was dropped:

WHEN SHIRLEY REACHES THE END OF THE AISLE SHE NOTICES LENNY AND SQUIGGY LYING ON A BED.

SQUIGGY
Len, we've got the best seats in the house.

LENNY
Maybe later we'll get a sponge bath.

I like this stage direction:
THIS "MUMMY" KISSES OUR GIRL.

Basically, this is what we saw.  The tag, however....

It's still the hospital room, "soon after."

WALTER, SHIRLEY AND LAVERNE ARE TALKING IN ONE CORNER.  RHONDA SITS ON A BED TALKING TO A SOLDIER, AS IS CARMINE.  LENNY AND SQUIGGY ARE STILL ON THEIR BED.

ANGLE ON:  RHONDA

RHONDA
You know, in the theatre, it's good luck when you break a leg.  I guess it's not the same when you're jumping out of a plane.

THE SOLDIER SMILES GOONILY.

ANGLE ON:  CARMINE - TALK TO SOLDIER

CARMINE
I broke my leg once.  I'll never forget how itchy it was under the cast.  I was alright [sic] as long as I didn't think about it.  But the more I thought about it, the more I itched, and the more I itched, the more I scratched, the more I scratched...

SOLDIER
Nurse.  Get this guy outta here.

ANGLE ON:  FRANK

FRANK
(TO SOLDIER) So there I was -- all alone on the Anzio beachhead.  Facing thousands of the enemy by myself.

THE SOLDIER YAWNS.

That all got chopped out, but thankfully Squiggy scaring Lenny about "The Mummy's Bride" made it in.

Thoughts:
  • Overall, this script isn't dramatically different from what aired, compared to some, although with little surprises here and there.
  • Lenny and Squiggy being in bed together is definitely a thing in script and onscreen.
  • Rhonda, Carmine, and Frank each in their own way are self-centered with the soldiers.  And, yay, another Anzio story from Frank.
  • Anson Downes, by the way, the soldier with a line, has just a handful of acting credits, including on Happy Days and Joanie Loves Chachi, but he did appear in a movie in 2019.  (He mostly seems to be a producer these days though.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...