Saturday, March 26, 2022

"An Affair to Forget," Scenes E and H

We return to the "girls' apartment - later that night":

LAVERNE ENTERS, WET BUT NOT DRIPPING.

LAVERNE
Thanks for the hitch.

SHE CROSSES TO TABLE AND PUTS DOWN HER PURSE, AND LOOKS FOR A PAPER TOWEL TO BLOT HERSELF WITH.

LAVERNE (CONT'D)
Oh, boy, what a night.

LAVERNE STARTS TO DRY OFF.  SHE NOTICES HER PURSE MOVING. SHE LOOKS IN AND REACTS TO A LOBSTER INSIDE.  SHE CROSSES TO THE KITCHEN AND PUTS IT IN THE SINK.  SHE TURNS THE WATER ON.

LAVERNE (CONT'D)
What do I feed you?  (OPENS REFRIGERATOR) You like half and half or cheddar?

That was all dropped.

In the script, Laverne asked Carmine, "You got any lobster food with you?", which was replaced by her asking about Koufax's shutout.

They skipped Laverne saying, "Look, what if I got real suspicious after I saw 'Psycho' and never took a shower again.  Then nobody would go out with me," and Carmine replying, "You could always clean off in a fish tank every third or fourth date."  They also omitted Laverne quoting Mr. Penza the grocery-store-owner, " 'Hey, are you stealin' a watermelon or are you just fat?' "

The tag has the same setting, but the "next day."  For some reason, Boyle Heights was changed to the  Watts Towers.  Carmine and Shirley making out on the couch was described as them "getting comfy."  Someone, I want to think Mekka, added Carmine's line "I love it when you call me Pookie Bear."

The last bit of the scene, after Frank drags Carmine out, didn't make it to air:

SHIRLEY PICKS UP BOO BOO KITTY AND HEADS FOR THE KITCHEN TO GET WATER.

SHIRLEY
(TO BOO BOO KITTY) Do you know what's going on around here?  Of course not.  You were with me all weekend.  (AT SINK) Well, at least Laverne kept the kitchen tidy.  I'm proud of her (CRIES OUT)... there's a lobster in the sink!

And so ends the episode.

Thoughts:
  • It's unclear whom Laverne hitched a ride with.  I want to think it was Blackbeard the waiter.
  • Lobster!  Of course I wonder if Shirley wanted to take it to the ocean, considering what happened offscreen in HNBk2.
  • Another Psycho reference, for those keeping track.
  • This is not the only California scene where Shirley turns to BBK as a sounding board.
  • My copy of the script includes Rhonda's "Blue Moon" scene from "That's Entertainment," which was "to be shot 12/9/81," the date of this "Affair to Forget" script.  I won't go into detail on it, but the '40s style that is referred to but not described in my version of the TE script is here, with "swing-tempo high hat and cymbals," a "boogie-woogie piano," and even a bit of Rhonda's trumpet.
  • Getting back to AtF, the flaws of the script mostly carried over to screen, and in the case of Lyle's cameo became worse.  I will say that Larry Breeding and Anjelica Huston (misspelled as "Angelica" on the cast list) do a lot more with their roles than these stereotypes deserve.  And I wish we found out more about Shirley being an aunt, or awnt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...