Thursday, March 24, 2022

"An Affair to Forget," Scene B

We go to the "girls' apartment - the same night":

LAVERNE IS DRESSED, IRONING A HANKY.  SHE NOTICES A WRINKLE ON THE FRONT OF HER DRESS.  SHE STOPS IRONING THE HANKY.  SHE GOES TO FRONT OF IRONING BOARD, BENDS HER KNEES AND SLIPS THE FRONT OF HER DRESS OVER THE END OF THE BOARD.  SHE IRONS THE DRESS, STILL WEARING IT.

FRANK ENTERS.

FRANK
What a great dress for the Dodger game.

LAVERNE
I'm sorry I forgot to call you.  I can't go to the game.

FRANK
It starts in half an hour.  I already got the tickets.

LAVERNE
Sorry, Pop.  Something came up.  I met a wonderful guy at work.

FRANK
So did I, but I'm still going to the ballgame.

LAVERNE
I'm happy for you, but I'm still late.

SHE FINISHES IRONING.

FRANK
All right.  (BEAT)  Tell me about him.  Is he Italian?

LAVERNE
I don't know but he has his own construction business.

FRANK
He's Italian.

LAVERNE
He's cute, he's funny and he has an answering service.

FRANK
So do I.  It also folds my shorts.  I call it Edna.

LAVERNE
His just answers the phone.  Anyway, he's taking me to a fancy restaurant tonight.

That was all dropped and the scene starts with Laverne saying in voiceover that she can't go to the game because she has a date.  They also skipped Laverne randomly opening a beer bottle with her teeth.  And we lost Frank's line "I got a son named Pookie Bear?"

They omitted Frank asking Rhonda, "What about Drysdale?" and her replying, "I don't know him.  He must be married."  Rhonda was supposed to "play a 'wolf whistle' on the trumpet" when she meets Hank, but instead she makes hand gestures to Laverne signaling her approval.

The last page of the scene was left out:

CARMINE COMES DOWN THE STAIRS.

LAVERNE
(GESTURING) And this is Pookie Bear.  Pook, this is Hank Rosa.

CARMINE
(GIVES LAVERNE A LOOK) How you doin', Hank.

HANK
Hello, uh, Mr. Bear.  Please, call me Pookie.

LAVERNE
Don't you folks have a Dodgers game to get to?

RHONDA PLAYS THE TRUMPET, "TA TA TA TA TA TA DA."

CARMINE/FRANK
Charge!

THEY EXIT.

HANK
Nice place you got here.  How about staying home and sending out for Chinese?

LAVERNE
Does this look like a staying home dress?

HANK
You're right.  The lobsters await.

LAVERNE
Anyway, I'd like to see your house.  With a maid and all, it must be one heck of a place.

HANK
Yeah, we could do that sometime, but not this week.  The maid has houseguests.

THEY EXIT.

Thoughts:
  • The part with Laverne ironing her dress would turn up as a blooper.
  • Frank is much more interested in finding out about Laverne's date in the script than he is in the filmed version.  Ironically, the following season, he won't even care that the Larry Breeding character Laverne is dating (Mike) isn't Italian.  In any case, it is a cute father-daughter scene here.
  • Yes, Edna gets name-checked.
  • Laverne is in a hurry to get ready, so why would she be opening a beer bottle, especially with her teeth?  I wonder if that's left over from an earlier version of the script.
  • Shirley's pet name for Carmine is a much bigger deal in the script than on air.
  • Rhonda has dated married men without guilt, so why would she care about Don Drysdale's marital status?  (He was married from 1958 to 1982.)
  • Her trumpet is a bigger deal in the script than what we'd see onscreen.
  • It feels odd for Hank to ask Carmine to call him Pookie.  Maybe that was supposed to be a separate line for Carmine.
  • Not only is Hank a lying adulterer but he's a cheapskate.
  • He'll later say that he thought Laverne knew he was married, so I assume that he thinks she's in on the joke about the "maid's houseguests," but it actually further highlights her surprising naivete.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...