Saturday, February 5, 2022

"Dating Game," Scene B

 

THE PLACE IS CLOSED.  EDNA IS USING A PLANE.  SHE IS MAKING VERY FEW WOOD CHIPS.

FRANK
Why are you making the sawdust?  Laverne was supposed to do that.  Where is she?

EDNA
Today's the day she's auditioning for the Dating Game.

FRANK
How come my muffin has to go on TV to get a date?

EDNA
Oh, Frank, it's a cute show.  A girl picks a guy she's not allowed to see to go to a place where they're not allowed to touch.

FRANK
And for that they took Milton Berle off the air?

Lenny's line about the pregnant aphid seems to be an adlib.

This was dropped, after Squiggy's "edible bachelors" line:

EDNA
They're gonna put you on national television?!

SQUIGGY
I should hope to kiss a duck.

EDNA
You're gonna kiss a duck on national television?!

LENNY
I'm game.  (THEN) Who would've thought a dead bug would lead to the girl of my dreams.  I'm off to wash my neck.

LENNY EXITS.

SQUIGGY
He's off to wash his neck.  Poor kid.  With me as his competition it wouldn't help if he washed his whole head.

SQUIGGY EXITS.

EDNA
This could bring back radio.

And so ends Act One.

A few thoughts:
  • As filmed, this scene gives Edna and Frank weak material, although at least I don't actively dislike them like I do Rhonda in this episode.  But good grief, I think what was omitted is even worse!  The clumsiness of the exposition, and the overly dated Uncle Miltie reference, sheesh!
  • Lenny's exit line almost works, and I can picture McKean saving it.
  • Awww, Squiggy's egotism turns out to be an accurate prediction, poor Lenny.

2 comments:

  1. I kinda like the dialogue TBH!

    Also Lenny cleaning his neck in the hope that making out will happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, if the dialogue works for you, great. And you know Lenny is hoping for some necking!

    ReplyDelete

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...