Friday, February 4, 2022

"Dating Game," Scene A

We start in the "girls' apartment - day."  Here are the wardrobe notes at the start of the scene:


LAVERNE IS LYING ON THE COUCH IN SKIN-TIGHT DRESS.  SHE HAS ASSUMED A SEXY POSE.  

LAVERNE
(PRACTICING) Bachelor number one, do you like wet kisses or dry kisses?  (PUCKERS LIPS)  (BEAT)  Bachelor number two, I like baseball.  What's your favorite position?  (BEAT)  Bachelor number three, if I ran my fingers through your hair, would it come off?

That was cut out.  Shirley's outfit is described as "a prim little dress," but I have to note that the hem is well above her knees.

In the script, this was dropped before Shirley gets her arm out of Laverne's dress:

LAVERNE
Get it out.  What're we gonna do, go as Siamese twins?

SHIRLEY
Either that or we cut it off.

LAVERNE
Shirl, I can't go around wearing your arm.

SHIRLEY
The dress, Laverne.  I meant the dress.

LAVERNE
You're gonna cut my dress?

Instead we got the part with argyle socks after Shirley's arm is out but before Laverne has the dress off.  During the sequence where Shirley is trying to pull Laverne's dress off, there was a line, "Suck in your ears, Laverne."

This was omitted after Laverne goes upstairs to change and was replaced by a little time-skip:

SHIRLEY
Rhonda, I'm sorry I can't ask you to stay.

RHONDA SITS.  SHIRLEY CHANGES PURSES.

SHIRLEY (CONT'D)
(THEN SOTTO) Noooo.

RHONDA
I heard you were trying out for the Dating Game.  I just came by to give you some helpful hints.

SHIRLEY
Why, that's very sweet of you.  Bye, bye.

RHONDA
Now first of all, the producers prefer blondes.

SHIRLEY
I know.  Bye, bye.

RHONDA
Now, what are you planning to wear?

SHIRLEY
I'm wearing what I have on.

RHONDA
Oh, that's good... the old sympathy trick.

SHIRLEY
(TO BEDROOM) Laverne, let's go.

RHONDA
I hope Laverne doesn't wear...

LAVERNE APPEARS AT THE TOP OF THE STAIRS.

RHONDA (CON'TD)
... Too late.

Shirley calling Rhonda "Darling" when trying to get rid of her was added, as was Laverne saying, "I don't like her."

After the boys ask for the girls' used vacuum cleaner bags, and Shirley (but not Laverne) wants to know why, the scene ended like this:

THE GIRLS GRAB THEIR PURSES AND START PUSHING THE BOYS TOWARD THE DOOR.

SQUIGGY
No, no, no, no, no... we ain't done yet.  You also got to keep your bedroom shades up for one year.

LAVERNE
Call a cab, Shirl.

SHIRLEY GOES TO CALL A CAB.

SQUIGGY
Six months?

LENNY
Don't push it, Squig.  Those vacuum cleaner bags are hard to come by.

THEY EXIT.

Instead, the filmed boys leave with the girls without much fuss, and Lenny's warning (I think just to Laverne) "Don't sit on the Fudgsicles again" was added, perhaps a McKean adlib.

A few thoughts:
  • So Laverne would ask two of the bachelors suggestive questions and then ask the other if he wears a toupee?
  • Then the girls get a little macabre with talk of dismembering limbs.
  • One of the reasons this episode is a B and not a higher grade is because it's during the early days of Rhonda's character and I, like Laverne, do not yet like her.  Her "helpful advice" doesn't change my opinion for the better.
  • Squiggy, but not necessarily Lenny, wants to play peeping Tom for six months to a year.  Lenny is willing to settle for vacuum bags.

2 comments:

  1. FILTHY, Laverne, filthy!

    Also I miss the boys lusting after the girls in the CA years so I kinda love the Squiggy stuff there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopping on the Smut Express.

      Re the boys' lust, well, that took a bad turn with RTB, but here it's more of a throwback to the early days. And at least he asked, rather than just spying. (Although now the girls are on the top floor, so I guess he'd need binoculars, or a ladder.)

      Delete

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...