Sunday, November 14, 2021

"Supermarket Sweep," Scenes A and B

On January 9, 1979, only four weeks before "Supermarket Sweep" aired, its Rev. Shooting Script came in.  Let's see what got chopped and changed.

As on the air, we start at "Slotnik's Supermarket - day":

THE PLACE IS FAIRLY BUSY.  SHIRLEY IS PUSHING A SHOPPING CART ABOUT HALF FULL OF GROCERIES.  LAVERNE TAKES A BOX OF CEREAL OFF THE SHELF AND PLACES IT IN THEIR CART.  SHIRLEY DOES THE SAME.

They added Laverne's line about wanting to make spaghetti for her father when he comes back from a convention, perhaps to explain Frank's absence.  (He's not in this version of the script either.)  They also added the small talk between Laverne and Mr. Slotnik, a nice touch.  Other than that, the filmed version is faithful to this scene in the script.

The next scene is at the girls' apartment, still day:

SHIRLEY IS ON THE COUCH, ON THE VERGE OF TEARS.  CARMINE SITS BESIDE HER, WITH BOO BOO KITTY BETWEEN THEM.  SHIRLEY IS PETTING BOO BOOK KITTY'S HEAD AND CARMINE IS PETTING SHIRLEY'S HEAD.

After Shirley reels off a bunch of synonyms for "nothing," this was dropped:

LAVERNE
Enough.  Alright, I'm sorry.  I'll split the food with you.

SHIRLEY
I don't want the food.

LAVERNE
Then what is it?

SHIRLEY
I wanna help in the shopping spree.  I want the excitement of racing against the clock.  Running down the aisles with the wind muffling my hair and my face all aglow.

LAVERNE
It's a little late, Shirl.  You shoulda said something at the store.

SHIRLEY
I tried.  But while you were having your picture taken, I almost got arrested for shoplifting 'cause I went for your Scooter Pies.

The filmed scene picks up again as Laverne says she feels like dirt.  Both versions end the scene and the act with Shirley's whining literally giving Laverne a pain in the neck.

A couple thoughts:
  • I don't think wind "muffles" hair.  Ruffles maybe.
  • This first act is remarkably faithful, as these scripts go.  Even what was cut doesn't really add much, to the exposition or the humor.

2 comments:

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...