Monday, October 4, 2021

"The Quiz Show," Scene C

We're in the "living room - later that evening."  The stage directions say that Edna and Shirley are making lasagna, although this doesn't come up in the dialogue.

This was all dropped:

SHIRLEY IS HAVING TROUBLE OPENING THE OVEN DOOR.

EDNA
Haven't you got this door fixed yet?

EDNA HAS THE PAN.

SHIRLEY
It's really not that bad.  (STRUGGLING WITH DOOR) Get ready, get ready.  Okay, stick it in.

EDNA PUTS PAN IN OVEN.  SHIRLEY LETS THE DOOR SLAM SHUT.

SHIRLEY (CONT'D)
What would you do in my situation?

EDNA
Get Frank to fix the oven.

SHIRLEY
No, no, I mean the game show.  What would you do, stick with the sure thing, or go for the World of Luxury?

EDNA
That's your decision, and I'm sure you'll make the right choice.

SHIRLEY
Well, we need an oven so bad, I guess we better take the sure thing.

EDNA
What are you, nuts?  And miss a chance at Luxury?  What do you want to do?  Live in a dump like this the rest of your lives?  Well, it's not that bad for the price I charge.

Apparently the back of Laverne's Pizza Bowl T-shirt says, "WE DON'T GIVE CREDIT THE BANK DON'T MAKE PIZZA."

This was left out after Edna asks Frank to tell the girls about the World of Luxury:

FRANK
I know about luxury.  Forget about luxury.  Some people are born, they got it.  Other people are born, they ain't got it.  You ain't got it.  When you get a chance to get it, grab it.  Got it?

LAVERNE
(TO EDNA) You see why I'm like this?

Laverne jumping into Frank's arms when the oven explodes was added, but they skipped her line, "An oven would be nice."  And that wraps up Act One.

A few thoughts:
  • Edna and Shirley's conversation sets things up more, including about the oven.  Edna's assessment of the apartment as a dump feels out of character, and I wonder if Betty Garrett shot it down.
  • Also, um, Edna, why is it the girls' responsiblity to deal with the oven?  You're the landlady!
  • I wish we had Frank's no doubt mumbled philosophy about luxury.

4 comments:

  1. L&S Move In seems to hint that the girls bought their own appliances, a concept I still find boggling for lower-class girls fresh out of high school.

    I liked "You see why I'm like that?!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! Maybe Frank got them some deals. Or Carmine? Still, Edna acts like it's little to do with her, and I hope this is another scene (I've got a mental list of them) where Betty G objected before filming.

      The "like that" line I can definitely picture Penny saying.

      Delete
    2. I'm guessing Frank and Carmine did, definitely. Or Shirley inherited some from her mother when Barb moved.

      Delete
    3. Makes sense, yeah. Plus both girls have a lot of relatives.

      Delete

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...