Friday, September 17, 2021

"Bus Stop," Scenes E and H

We go to the "Bus Station - night":

THIS IS A TYPICAL, SEEDY, RUN-DOWN BUS STATION, DECORATED WITH LITTER.  THERE IS A TICKET WINDOW WITH A TICKET SALESMAN AND LARRY AND GREG SITTING ON A BENCH.  THE CLOCK SAYS 9:00.

GREG
An hour late.

LARRY
Don't worry.  They'll be here.

That was dropped and the scene starts with the girls' entrance.  But otherwise, Scene E is intact.  It ends Act One, so Scene H opens Act Two.  We're still in the bus station, "half hour later."  They left out Shirley's opening line, "Would you quit pacing?  They've only been in there a half an hour."  Incidentally, the spelling this time is "vo-de-o-do."  This was omitted after Laverne knocks on the men's room door and asks, "You ready for our date?"

THE DOOR OPENS AND A DIRTY BUM COMES OUT.

BUM
Sure, where are we going?

SHIRLEY
Sorry, we thought you were someone else.

BUM
Maybe I am.  I'll go check.

THE BUM STAGGERS OFF.

SHIRLEY
Why didn't you ask him if they were in there?

LAVERNE
He didn't know he was in there.

LAVERNE PUSHES THE DOOR OPEN.  MAKES A FACE AND GETS TEARS FROM ODOR

LAVERNE
Oh my, makes my eyes burn.

SHIRLEY
Don't stand there with the door open.  It doesn't look good.

LAVERNE
Cover me.

LAVERNE RUNS IN.  SHE COMES BACK OUT IMMEDIATELY.

SHIRLEY
You see anyone?

LAVERNE
No.

SHIRLEY
Did you look for feet?

LAVERNE
What'd you think I looked for?

Thoughts:
  • The only thought I have on Scene E is that it's better to start with Our Girls than with their finky dates.
  • We'll see the bum in the next scene, and it's interesting that he did originally get lines, especially since he's played by frequent guest star Peter Elbling.
  • I can definitely see why they cut back on the men's room stuff, but I can sort of see Laverne daring to investigate.
  • "What'd you think I looked for?" may not be a suggestive line, but I'm going to take it as such.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...