Thursday, August 12, 2021

"Playing Hookey," Scene D

It's the "girls' apartment - a short while later."  Amusingly, when Laverne and Shirley dance together, they say, "Dig to China.  Dig to China," I think a nod to "Excuse MMICI."

This was left out:

BOB
... (HE STEPS ON SHIRLEY'S FOOT.  SHE SITS ON COUCH, HOLDING FOOT)  I'm sorry.

SHIRLEY
It's all right.

BOB
No, get even.  Kick me.

SHIRLEY
Really?

BOB
Yeah.

SHE KICKS HIM.

BOB
I never thought you'd do that.

SHIRLEY
But you said --

LAVERNE LOOKS AT WINE BOTTLE.  IT'S EMPTY.

LAVERNE
I have a big announcement to make.

SHIRLEY CLAPS.

LAVERNE (CONT'D)
Ernest and Julio are gone.

SHE SHOWS EMPTY BOTTLE.

In the script, Laverne kisses Ernie on the cheek, rather than the full-on mouth kiss we see onscreen.

The last two and a half pages were split off to form the tag.  Laverne saying that Shirley is her best friend replaced this bit:

SHIRLEY GOES TO COUCH AND STARTS PUTTING JERGENS LOTION ON HER WRISTS.

LAVERNE
Shirl... maybe they had just forgotten the money.

BOB
I'm sorry.  Really.  But I will have to take the money back.  It's from the Police Picnic Fund.  Without this there's no cole slaw.

The other changes in the scene are pretty minor though.

Thoughts:
  • The part with Shirley kicking Bob is a bit odd.
  • I wonder whose idea it was to have Laverne make out with an undercover cop.
  • Shirley immediately applying lotion to her chafed wrists feels very her.
  • Next time, the omitted tag....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...