Wednesday, August 11, 2021

"Playing Hookey," Scene C

It's back to the girls' "apartment - day."  The first three pages made it in, but then this is what came along after Frank's "bobby pins" rambling:

HE STARTS OUT.  COMES BACK FOR BOTTLE AND GLASSES.

SHIRLEY
Nice seeing you, Mr. De Fazio, and meeting whoever...

FRANK STARTS OUT AGAIN WITH BOTTLE AND GLASSES.

LAVERNE
(TAKING GLASSES FROM HIM) Pop, it's a set.

And then, a little later, after Laverne says a lot goes on there while they're at work, this was omitted:

SHIRLEY
This explains a lot of things.

LAVERNE
Like what?

SHIRLEY
Like those cigar butts I've been finding in the garbage lately.  I thought you'd taken up smoking, but I was too embarrassed to say anything.

LAVERNE
And the toilet seat up all the time when I got home.  I thought it was you.

SHIRLEY
You've known me since junior high, and wouldn't ask me about a thing like that?

LAVERNE
Well, you thought I smoked cigars.

They left out Laverne saying, after Shirley wonders what to do when the two men show up, "Put the toilet seat down and let's start the Happy Hour."

They dropped the girls "looking to window, seeing kneecaps," and then Shirley saying, "Kneecaps are cute."

The very last part of the scene didn't make it in:

LAVERNE STARTS TO SING "ZIPPETY DO DAH".

SHIRLEY
Now wait a minute.  Let's us decide who gets who.  We'll talk, we'll see what we have in common, we'll see whose personality goes with whose personality, we'll see how we get along.

LAVERNE
There's a big guy and a little guy.  I'll take the big guy.

SHIRLEY
Easier!

Thoughts:
  • Does Frank canonically smoke cigars?  I mean, I know he does in the Blansky's Beauties crossover, but otherwise?
  • I'm guessing the censors didn't go for the toilet seat jokes.
  • And it seems like the girls have known each other a lot longer than junior high, especially if they got kicked out of the Brownies together.
  • I feel like the big guy & little guy dialogue did show up in some aired episode, if not this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...