Sunday, August 8, 2021

"Guilty Until Proven Not Innocent," Scenes H and J

It's back to the "holding cell - night":

A FEW HOURS LATER.  THE FOUR GIRLS ARE PLAYING POKER FOR CIGARETTES.  NORMAN COMES IN. LAVERNE GOES TO HIM.

LAVERNE
Norman what took ya so long?  Where were you?

NORMAN
Aw, there was a riot at Pfister Park.  A tree fell on a pack of Brownies.

LAVERNE
Awwwwww.  No.

NORMAN
Yeah.  Cookies all over my shoes.

NO REACTION FROM LAVERNE.

NORMAN (CONT'D)
Just trying to be charming.

LAVERNE
Then get me out of here.

NORMAN
I'm better at charming.  Look, why don't ya hire yourself a lawyer, plead guilty and pay the fine.

LAVERNE
I can't afford a lawyer or a fine!

NORMAN
What about a public defender?  They're free.

LAVERNE
I already talked to one.  He said I should pay the fine.

NORMAN
Well, that's American justice.  That's what makes this country great!

A bit of this was used earlier on the filmed version, with Norman suggesting a public defender as he talks to Shirley outside Laverne's cell, but there he puts Laverne's name on a list and she'll have to wait six months.

Onscreen, it looks like they added a short scene between the two parts of the boys trying to encourage Shirley.  After we see the boys try to walk off Shirley's drunkenness, Laverne is struck by the unfairness of the woman who robbed the gas station being bailed out.  Then we go back to the girls' apartment and there is some of Squiggy's pep talk, and an expansion of the "two hoots" thing, but the best of Scene C has been gutted.

So then the part of Scene H where Shirley brings "a reluctant Mr. Clark" to see Laverne did get used.  But onscreen Laverne apologizes without much hesitation but balks at admitting her "guilt."  Here's how it goes in the script:

SHIRLEY
(TO LAVERNE) Come on, do it.  One teeny tiny apology.

LAVERNE MAKES A STAB AT IT.

LAVERNE
Mr. Clark, I'm... I'm sorry that I... No, I won't do it.  He is a Snoot Face!

SHIRLEY
Laverne!

LAVERNE
Snoot face.  Snoot face.  Snoot face.

THE PRISONERS CHEER.

By the way, the thing of Shirley going to dinner with "Jerome" was added.  This was omitted after Shirley mentions the handkerchief:

THE OTHER GIRLS LOOK UP.  LAVERNE SMILES AT THEM, EMBARRASSED.

LAVERNE
(TO THE GIRLS) Big handkerchief.  Dropped it right on that sailor I beat up.

All the women calling Jerome Clark "Snoot Face" was added, as was his tearful speech before he exits.  In the script, Norman (who's not in the filmed version of this scene) says, "C'mon, you.  I'll take you out to the desk...  Snoot Face...," and then Norman laughs.

They dropped Shirley, in shock, asking, "What did I do?  How did I say those things?  You think I hurt his feelings?", and Laverne replying, "Who cares?  You got me out."

Shirley getting upset because Laverne wants to stay and finish her poker hand replaced this:

SHIRLEY
Well, there's really someone else you should thank.

LAVERNE
Who?

SHIRLEY
Squiggy.

LAVERNE REACTS.

SHIRLEY (CON'TD)
He's the one who told me I had to be strong for you.

LAVERNE
All right, I'll thank Squiggy.

SHIRLEY
And there's someone else.

LAVERNE
Lenny?

SHIRLEY
(REACHES INTO HER BAG)  No.  Boo-Boo Kitty.  She came all the way down here...

LAVERNE
I'm not thanking Boo-Boo Kitty.

THEY ARGUE.

That ends the act.  The tag is set in the "living room - night":

SHIRLEY IS ON THE COUCH, WRITING IN HER DIARY.

SHIRLEY (V.O.)
"Anyway, diary, I think it's going to be a while before Laverne gets over being in jail.  I think she's a little wall happy.  This morning, I accidentally locked her in the bathroom and she threw a bar of soap through the window..."

They left out Laverne asking, "Did you enjoy the game?" and Frank answering, "Freezing, wind, coffee in my lap."  Otherwise, the scene is intact.

Thoughts:
  • Riot at Pfister Park sounds like a movie from the late '60s.
  • Bo Kaprall apparently thought it'd be charming for Norman to tell dad jokes when his girlfriend is in jail.  (Onscreen, he's flattered that he's the first person she called.)
  • The scripted Laverne has more pride and more stubbornness than onscreen.  (Quite a contrast to the "Death Row," Part 2 script of course.)
  • On the other hand, the onscreen Shirley has no regrets, and more reason, to stand up to Mr. Clark.
  • Of course Laverne thinks of thanking Lenny.
  • But it's BBK who she should really thank.
  • Overall, we can certainly see where the aired episode came from, but there was definitely some shifting and reshaping from this Rev. Final Draft.  It's a pity that we lost some great stuff, especially from Lenny and Squiggy, but I guess that's how the Brownies crumble.

2 comments:

  1. OK, this one has some super charming stuff chopped out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, not every script does, but this one, yes.

      Delete

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...