Monday, August 9, 2021

"Playing Hookey," Scene A

On November 8, 1976, the day before the "Bridal Shower" episode aired, the Shooting Script for "Playing Hookey" (yes, with that spelling) came in.  Let's see what the changes were by airdate on January 11th.

First off all, although my reprint has the cover sheet and cast list, I'm missing the first five pages of Scene A.  It's clearly set in the morning in the girls' living room, just like in the filmed version.  Here's what I know was dropped:

SHIRLEY
This country's based on freedom, Laverne.  Don't we have the right to have fun?

LAVERNE
(THINKS) I know we have the right to bear arms...  I'm not sure about fun.

SHIRLEY
Well, we have the right to have fun.

LAVERNE
(SMILES) Yeah.

SHIRLEY
Just to be free one day from work!

LAVERNE
Yeah.

This part was dropped after the word "favors":

SQUIGGY
That ain't enough.  I think I deserve to ask for some favors in return.  (BEAT)  Some...  (SEXY)... human type favors, the kind you read about in dirty books, if you know what I mean.

LAVERNE
I know what he means and it ain't a pretty picture.

In the script, when Shirley asks about Lenny's camera, he says, "I was outside taking a picture of Edna, Joe and Jesus," so Squiggy snaps, "I told you to save the film for the burlesque house."  Onscreen Lenny says it's more appropriate for the burlesque house than a toaster.

Also, in the script, when Lenny asks about the favor, Squiggy tells him, "It don't concern you.  It's about me.  A man has to have some private parts."

Onscreen, Shirley pretends to be her own father, but in the script, she gasps into the phone, "Hello... don't get too close to the phone. I'm very sick...."

Thoughts:
  • I assume that the missing pages offer more set-up of Shirley convincing Laverne to play hooky.
  • This is another Season Two script where Laverne is written a little dumb.
  • And it's another script where Squiggy is "sexy," here having "private parts."
  • I'm going to assume that that was Edna Babish but not Jesus Christ.  I don't know about Joe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...