Saturday, August 7, 2021

"Guilty Until Proven Not Innocent," Scene E

Act Two opens in the "line-up room - continuous action," despite that commercial break.

Interestingly, "Norman and Shirley enter and take seats," but they don't have any lines or stage directions and they definitely aren't onscreen, even the backs of their heads.

Onscreen, the girls push Laverne along, and she asks Toni if she finds it hard dating because she's tall.  Here's the first part of the dialogue in the script:

LAVERNE
This reminds me of kindergarten.  I was in a play about nutrition.

TONI
What did you play?

LAVERNE
A squash.

TONI
You were a squash, huh?  Ha!

LAVERNE
(EMBARRASSED) Yeah.  it was a tough squash, though.  It held up a bank.

After Laverne accidentally steps forward as "Number Two," she was supposed to say, "I like to shake 'em up a little.  Keeps 'em on their toes," and she'd say it to the other "girls, trying to cover."

Laverne's remark about her long nose was added.  

After Laverne delivers the threatening line wrong, they kept only the first part of the gas station manager's line and none of Laverne's reply below:

MANAGER (V.O.)
She couldn't say it right in my gas station either.  She's the one who stole my money, six tires and Lamont ... my gas boy!

LAVERNE IS IN SHOCK.

LAVERNE
Gas boy?  what's a gas boy?  (TO GIRLS) I love gas boys, I'd never steal one.

Onscreen, the manager isn't so sure about Laverne, and it ends up being Number Four.  But here's what happens after the "gas boy" part:

THE YELLING ON THE FLOOR CONTINUES.  THE DETECTIVE TRIES TO QUIET EVERYONE.

DETECTIVE (V.O.)
(TO MANAGER) Are you absolutely certain that she's the one, sir?

MANAGER (V.O.)
Yes, I am.

DETECTVE (V.O.)
Okay, take 'em away.

MANAGER (V.O.)
Wait a minute!  I just remembered something.  She did have a scar.

LAVERNE
Scar?  Scar?  I got no scars.  Look, I'll show you.  No scars.  Anywhere.

SHE STARTS TO REMOVE HER CLOTHING.

DETECTIVE (V.O.)
Whoa, hold it.  (TO MANAGER) Where was that scar, sir?

MANAGER
On her arm, her left arm.

DETECTIVE (V.O.)
(TO LAVERNE) De Fazio, show me your arm!

LAVERNE
See, no scars.  I don't even have hair on this arm.

DETECTIVE (V.O.)
Looks clean to me, too.

Laverne asking if she can go home and then being told she's being still held on the original charge made it in, but this was all omitted:

AS LEVERNE [sic!] IS BEING LED AWAY, SHE SPEAKS TO TONI.

LAVERNE
I'm right back where I started.

DETECTIVE
Not exactly.  You'll only be here 'til midnight.

LAVERNE
Why?

DETECTIVE
That's when we move you to City Jail.  Then it's about a week until your preliminary hearing, a few months 'til trial.  You should be in prison by Christmas.

THEY START TO LEAD HER OFF.

LAVERNE
I can't, Terry Butafuco's having a party for Christmas.  I'm supposed to being [sic] the eggnog.

THEY PULL HER OUT.

Thoughts:
  • The girls were in a lot of school plays.
  • Not Lamont the gas boy!
  • Laverne is willing to strip to prove her innocence, so maybe that explains the episode title.
  • Yay, Terry B reference!
  • The filmed version is smoother, but I kinda like the messiness of this draft.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...