Saturday, July 17, 2021

"Bridal Shower," Scene C

We go to Rosie's apartment, "the next day."  Rosie was supposed to be wearing "a sweater with rhinestones on it and a fur coat," but she's wearing a green dress with a fur stole.

Laverne biting Rosie's hand after the "old maid" remark was added, as was Elinor hugging Laverne and Shirley hello.

This was left out, after Laverne says she never realized Elinor was tall:

ELINOR
When I met Stanley, my fiance, he said it didn't matter how I looked, that he loved me for what I was inside.  So I decided to let the inside get a little closer to the outside.

THEY ALL LAUGH AS ROSIE COMES BACK.

They added Laverne saying, "Hot air," after Shirley wonders what's in the $15 cake Rosie bought.

This was dropped after Laverne says her dates are all special:

COOKIE
Nah, you know what I mean.  Anybody you wanna tie the knot with?

CRYSTAL
Cookie, c'mon.  Maybe Laverne don't want to get married.

COOKIE
What are you crazy?  Everybody wants to get married.  Right, Laverne?

Laverne saying "a scissors" rather than just "scissors" seems to have been a Penny touch.

Laverne and Rosie repeating the word "bimbo" was not in the script, but heightens the tension.

For some reason, Shirley in the script says she's going to "Italian, French, and Japanese" restaurants, but it's "Ukrainian" instead of "Japanese" onscreen.

Cookie and Crystal lost some lines after Crystal says she has to pick up her own bag of Chinese food:

COOKIE
It ain't for me.  It's for those loudmouths he plays poker with.  I'm lucky if they throw me an eggroll.

CRYSTAL
My Ralph don't even come home after work, he goes out drinking beer with the boys and the next thing I know, I'm waking up to the sound of a man sweating.

COOKIE
Nobody makes noise when they sweat.

CRYSTAL
Believe me, when my Ralph sweats, you listen.

In case you're curious, no words are included in the script for the "Angora anthem."

Thoughts:
  • Stanley's remark to Elinor feels clumsy, like he couldn't say he thought she was beautiful the way she was?  And she still felt the need to lose weight.  But the line is still sort of sweet and it, um, fleshes out Elinor a bit more.
  • Not that Cookie and Crystal don't get some good stuff in the filmed episode, but I like these extra glimpses of them.
  • Still not any major changes, and now all that's left is the tag.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...