Friday, July 16, 2021

"Bridal Shower," Scene B

We go to the "girls' apartment - morning":

SHIRLEY IS SITTING ON THE FLOOR AMID A PILE OF JUNK NEAR THE KITCHEN COUNTER.  SHE'S LOOKING THROUGH HER HIGH SCHOOL YEARBOOK.  LAVERNE IS STANDING AT THE KITCHEN COUNTER, TALKING ON THE PHONE AND TRYING TO MIX A MILK AND PEPSI AT THE SAME TIME.  SHE'S HAVING PROBLEMS.

LAVERNE
(INTO PHONE, TRYING TO GET A WORD IN EDGEWISE) Pop... Pop!  I don't care about Elinor getting married... Yes, I'm gonna give you grandchildren...  Yeah, I know I'm your only hope...  Yeah, before you're dead...  I'll name the first one Frank...  Whether it's a boy or a girl.  Goodbye.

They left out Shirley asking if Laverne paid the rent, which Laverne did, and Mrs. Babish saying that the boys' boat races were for "the finals."  

In the script, Laverne's junk mail includes an offer "to buy beads from Navajo orphans," while onscreen it's her renewal for True Confessions.

We sadly lost this early glimpse into early Edna:

MRS. BABISH
Angora Debs?  When I was in high school, I was in the Busy Hands Chapter of The Girls' Friendly Society.

LAVERNE
Mrs. Babish!

MRS. BABISH
It's not what you think.  We made potholders.  It was boring.

LAVERNE
I'll bet.

And this:

MRS. BABISH
Funny, I've been married five times, and I never felt like I was better than anyone.

LAVERNE
Rosie thinks she's better than the President.

Laverne didn't give in on going to the shower quite as fast in the script, since after Shirley said Edna is right, Laverne said, "We'll send her a great present," and then Shirley coaxed, "Come on.  You know darn well we oughta be there to congratulate her.  Tell her how happy we are for her."

Thoughts:
  • So Frank kept nagging Laverne about grandchildren into the next day.  Well, OK, and over several more seasons.
  • I assume she did name one of her kids after Frank, and after all Frankie was a female protagonist in the novel and movie The Member of the Wedding, both of which came out before this episode is set.
  • More Edna background in canon, please thanks.
  • So far, no major changes though in this script, and we're already done with Act One.

3 comments:

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...