Friday, June 18, 2021

"Mother Knows Worst," Scenes C and D

The next scene is set in the bedroom, during "day."  They omitted Shirley saying offstage, "Mother?  Mother, are you here?  Lenny said she was here," while onscreen the girls wonder how Mrs. Feeney got in.

In the script, Shirley is "embarrassed" about being called "Dimples," but she seems proud onscreen.  Also, in the script, Shirley says Laverne has big bones, while onscreen she says that Laverne is tall.  Lily calls the boys "Larry and Squinty" rather than "Squiggly and Wiggly," but I sort of love that, too.  

They left out this bit:

SHIRLEY
I know why she wants this party.  So she can find fault with my friends, my food... everything.  It's just another way to pick on me.

LAVERNE
Shirl, don't get crazy.

And they omitted the last part of the scene:

LAVERNE (O.S.)
Shirley!  Start the dinner for your mother.  If you make believe you're sick, I'm gonna throw you out of bed.

SHIRLEY POPS OUT FROM UNDER THE COVERS.

SHIRLEY
She's fat, but she's real smart.

That ends the act, and the next act and scene open in the girls' apartment, but "that night."  Laverne was supposed to say, "Hi, Pop," and then Frank would reply, "Don't 'Hi Pop' me.  Here's your bread," but on camera he just hands her the loaf of bread.

Also, after Laverne says she's sorry he got stuck with the theater tickets, there was this:

FRANK
You're sorry.  Hours I spent getting there.  Uptown, downtown, buses, cabs, stairs, steps, feet hurting, Laverne.

FRANK CROSSES TO PHONE.

LAVERNE
(SAME SPEECH PATTERN) Pop.  Party tonight.  Dinner, people, fun, food, relax.

FRANK
I'll relax if I can get my money back for these tickets.

And this was left out:

SHIRLEY
Why lima beans?

LAVERNE
That's all we had.

SHIRLEY LOOKS AT THE PEPPERS.

SHIRLEY
Couldn't you at least have mashed them first?

LAVERNE
I've been busy.

And then after Shirley tries a "blunder":

SHIRLEY
(BITES INTO ONE) Mmmmm, this is very good.  She'll hate it.  She'll hate everything.  The food, my friends...  did you clean the bathroom?

LAVERNE
What am I a slave?

SHIRLEY
All right, get a brush.

And after Frank says to call him Vinnie:

FRANK
(TO SHIRLEY) This a new game?  Who you gonna be?

THE GIRLS PASS BY WITH A BUCKET AND A TOILET BRUSH.

SHIRLEY
I'm Shirley.

LAVERNE
(WAVES HER OFF) She don't play.

FRANK PUT HIS ARMS AROUND THE GIRLS.

FRANK
(TO LILY) So.  Barb.  What do you think of our girls, huh?

LILY
Well, Vinnie, Laverne has grown into quite a sophisticated young woman.

FRANK
Yeah.  I taught her that.

This was all dumped:

THERE IS A KNOCK ON THE DOOR.

LILY
Don't worry, I'll get it.

LILY GETS THE BASEBALL BAT.

LILY (CONT'D)
(LOW VOICE) Who is it?

CARMINE (O.S.)
It's Carmine.  I've got everybody with me.

LILY
Oh, it's Carmine.  I've been dying to see that boy's face.

LILY OPENS THE DOOR.  CARMINE ENTERS, WALKING ON HIS HANDS, FOLLOWED BY EVERYBODY ELSE.  LILY GOES TO HUG HIM.  SEES ONLY FEET.

FRANK
How did he knock?

CARMINE STRAIGHTENS UP.  FRANK GOES FOR SOME FOOD.

LILY
(TO CARMINE) You haven't changed a bit.

CARMINE
Remember this?  (HE BAAAS)

LILY
Your famous goat noise.  How could I forget?


LILY LAUGHS AS CARMINE WALKS OVER TO THE COUNTER.

LILY (CONT'D)
(SOTTO TO SHIRLEY) Next he'll eat my dress.

Instead, there's a time-skip onscreen, to the three girls in bowling shirts.  Note that the bowler who speaks is called Delilah, and was cast as frequent Happy Days extra Heather Warren.  (Information not available in the closing credits or IMDB, so you're welcome.)

Thoughts:
  • Frank has a little more to do in this scene in the script.  I especially like him being proud of "our girls."
  • Shirley worries even more in the script.
  • The thing of Lily answering the door like Shirley is good.
  • But the greater loss is of course her interaction with Carmine.
  • We know from other episodes that Carmine can walk on his hands.  And, ah, the goat impression that will have significance in a Season Seven episode!
  • I can understand these trims, but I miss some of the lost material.

4 comments:

  1. Wow yeah, I miss most of this. It's interesting to me that Lily actually likes Carmine and isn't mad at her for dumping Shirley in this. Also more Carmine and goats (which also surfaces in season 4).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if she knows about their breakup. She is snarky towards him but she could be worse. What's the goat thing in Season Four?

      Delete
    2. His goat impression in L&S Move In!

      Delete
    3. Thanks, I'll look for it next time I watch.

      Delete

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...