Thursday, May 27, 2021

"It's in the Water," Scene E

We return to the girls' apartment, "five minutes later - night":

LAVERNE STORMS IN WITH SHIRLEY RIGHT BEHIND.  SHIRLEY FOLLOWS HER IN.

SHIRLEY
Laverne, please calm down.  Can't we talk about this intelligently?

LAVERNE
There's nothing to talk about, Miss Feeney.

SHIRLEY
Don't worry.  You're never gonna have to call me that.  It's a dumb rule.  I'm gonna get it changed.

LAVERNE
Oh, now you can get rules changed.  When are they making you Chairman of the Board?

SHIRLEY
Probably not for years.

LAVERNE
Maybe when you get to the top, you'll send me a postcard.  Just address it to "Common Worker".  They'll find me.

That all got left out.  Shirley originally called her friend "Vernie" when she said she was going to quit tomorrow.

And they omitted the last half page, after Shirley says she and Laverne won't see much of each other for awhile:

LAVERNE
Well, then, let's give ourselves a treat.  Let's go out for dinner.  Someplace nice.  The dinner's on me.

SHIRLEY
No, Laverne, let me pay.

LAVERNE
(CASUAL) All right.  I'll get your money.  It's under the globe where you hid it.

SHE EXITS TO BEDROOM.

SHIRLEY
How did she know that?

Thoughts:
  • I don't know if it was established by then that the Pizza Bowl was on the same block as the apartment building, but clearly you can get there in five minutes or less, especially if you're upset.
  • I can see why the beginning and end of this scene were trimmed, although I kind of like the "Common Worker" joke and find the "globe" joke weak.
  • Overall, it's another forgettable scene in this script.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...