Saturday, March 6, 2021

"The Gymnast Show," Scene E

This scene has the same setting, a "short time later."  Laverne discovering the book about poisonous mushrooms was added.

Her reply to Edgar's remark that he hopes he's not disturbing her was originally, "Nah.  I was just practicing sleeping in doorways in case of earthquakes," rather than the one about her fondness for insulation.

Edgar calling Laverne "darling" was added, as was him serving her chicken with mushrooms, while in the script it's a steak.  Laverne onscreen claims to be a vegetarian.  In the script, she puts not just the salad but the steak down her blouse.  The line about being scared of bugs, and "this was a big hairy sucker," which made it into the episode, seems like a malformed Hello Moment.

They left out Edgar saying of the drink he's prepared that "Your body will never ache again," as well as Laverne, after pretending to drink it, saying not just that it's a little flat, "but nothing that a shot of Pepsi can't fix."

They omitted this after Laverne catches Edgar saying he found her again:

EDGAR
Did I?  What I mean is I've dreamed of this moment.  Do you know what I want to do with you?

LAVERNE
I hope not.

EDGAR
I want to make you fly.  Fly like an angel.

LAVERNE
(FAKING YAWN) Angel, huh?  Well, if I'm gonna fly, I better get a good night's sleep.  Think I'll turn in.

The thing with Laverne wanting to change her clothes "after eating," and Edgar bringing her a circus costume, replaced this:

EDGAR KISSES LAVERNE ON THE FOREHEAD AND STARTS TO EXIT.

EDGAR
Sleep, my Louise.  Till tomorrow.

HE EXITS.  LAVERNE PULLS THE FOOD FROM HER BLOUSE AND STUFFS IT UNDER THE BED.  SHE PULLS HER THINGS TOGETHER AND CROSSES TO THE DOOR.  IT IS LOCKED.  SHE LISTENS FOR A BEAT AND THEN TAKES A PIECE OF PAPER AND SLIPS IT UNDER THE DOOR.  SHE TAKES A PIN FROM HER HAIR AND STICKS IT THROUGH THE KEYHOLE, KNOCKS THE KEY ON THE PAPER AND PULLS THE PAPER BACK UNDER THE DOOR.  SHE TAKES THE KEY, OPENS THE DOOR, AND TIPTOES OUT.

A few thoughts:
  • Laverne's love of Pepsi, with or without milk, at least makes it into the final season.
  • Despite the late hour, onscreen Edgar is apparently going to teach Laverne the Triple, while in the script it will be delayed until tomorrow.
  • Edgar is sort of paternal, with all that forehead-kissing.  This is definitely not a Jeff-Goldblum situation.
  • Laverne is actually more resourceful, albeit in a not very original way, in the script that onscreen.

3 comments:

  1. I'm trying to remember if Adam West comes off as paternal onscreen. I need to rewatch this episode, it's been ages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say he's more gentlemanly than paternal, but it's definitely not one of Laverne's steamier relationships, like Pete for example.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *nods* that makes sense for what I can recall vaguely.

      Delete

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...