Friday, March 5, 2021

"The Gymnast Show," Scene D

Act Two opens in "a bedroom in Edgar's Chalet - late that night."  The first page of Scene D got in, but this part was left out after Laverne hears "the slow shuffling feet" of Arthur the houseman:

LAVERNE
I hope you don't pay Arthur by the hour.

EDGAR
He's been with me for years.  He's like a faithful old hound.

LAVERNE
Sounds like you're getting ready to put him to sleep.

EDGAR LAUGHS.

After Edgar asks what Laverne thinks of what the script describes as "a beautiful frilly Gothic room" that's "filled with roses," and she calls it beautiful, this came next:

LAVERNE
Whose was it?

EDGAR
That doesn't matter.  Now it is yours.  This room has been empty for a long time.

LAVERNE
Would you look at all the flowers.

EDGAR
Roses, my sweet.  Your favorite.

LAVERNE
Thanks.  But remember I said I liked carnations way more than roses.  And they're cheaper, too.  The way you like to send flowers, you should think about it.

EDGAR
So thoughtful.  Now I want you to rest.  Tomorrow will be a big day.  Make yourself at home and if you need anything, just ask Arthur.

HE KISSES HER FOREHEAD.

EDGAR (CONT'D)
Good night, sweet Louise.

LAVERNE
Laverne.  Look, I don't mind wearing my hair the way you like.  I'll even go along with the roses.  But my name, I'm kind of attached to it.

EDGAR
Forgive me?

LAVERNE
Sure.  Maybe we could compromise.  You like Louise.  I like Laverne.  Let's just call me "Lola".

HE CHUCKLES, SMILES AND TOUCHES HER CHEEK.

EDGAR
Good night, my sweet, beautiful Lola.

EDGAR EXITS.

Onscreen, there are some music boxes that play "Louise."  He does call her by that name but she says she only answers to Laverne or "beautiful."

The first part after Arthur's entrance with the towels was kept, but they changed the part between that and Laverne discovering the circus poster.  Here's the version in the script, after Laverne says at least Arthur remembers her name:

ARTHUR
But you must excuse Mr. Van Dyke.  He is very attached to his past.

LAVERNE
Yeah, well, I'm not really like that cause my past mostly stinks.


LAVERNE BEGINS GOING THROUGH A CABINET.

Onscreen, Laverne gently teases Arthur, who admires her underwear (!), which she puts in a dresser.  She finds the poster there, rather than in a cabinet, which makes a little more sense.  The dialogue is close in both versions, except Laverne says in the script, in reference to the girl's face being covered in the poster, "Not a good picture, huh?  I did the same thing to my year book picture."  Also, the girl would not only have Laverne's face and new hairstyle, but she'd be wearing a scarf.

This part was omitted after Edgar's sudden return:

LAVERNE HURRIEDLY TRIES TO PUT THE TAPE BACK ON THE PICTURE.

LAVERNE
Uhhh...  this fell off...

EDGAR SILENTLY CROSSES AND TAKES THE POSTER FROM LAVERNE.

ARTHUR
Excuse me, sir.  I should have locked the cabinet.

They left out Laverne saying to herself as she dials the phone, "When he saw me his mind musta snapped...  I gotta get out of here...  (LAVERNE DIALS PHONE)  C'mon, Rhonda...  Be home...  Hello, Rhonda..."  And then the line goes dead.  A bit later she tells Edgar, "Aw, shucks, I was gonna try Pizza Man."  She asks where Arthur is, and Edgar tells her, "Gone, with the hounds.  I've got big plans for you, Louise.  Now, why don't you get some rest."

Some thoughts:
  • The thing about Arthur being associated with "the hounds" will sort of pay off later.
  • Also, the thing about the roses is a bigger deal in the script and the poster even has roses on it.
  • While every relationship requires compromise, I don't think being called "Lola" qualifies.  Laverne has relatively more self-respect in the filmed version.
  • I can't decide if the line about Laverne's past stinking is an "easy!Laverne" line or more to do with the disappointments and even tragedies she's had to deal with.  (That, through one of the quirks of scheduling, this episode would air right before "The Monastery Show" is darkly ironic.)
  • Even her yearbook picture stinks.
  • Nothing against Rhonda, but why would that be the first person Laverne would try to call?  OK, maybe not her father, considering he disapproves of Edgar and she'd hate to hear an "I told you so" about Edgar apparently turning out to be a murderer.  But what about Carmine or the boys, or I don't know, the police?
  • The "Pizza Man" line is both pathetic and ironic, since her father was once a pizza man.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like more of a downbeat!Laverne line than an easy one.

    I could see her trying her Pop, Carmine, the Boys, then Rhonda, in that order.

    ReplyDelete

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...