Sunday, February 7, 2021

"The Playboy Show," Scene C

We finally get to the apartment, "the next week."  (And, yeah, how sad that it is no longer "the girls' apartment.")

RHONDA STANDS BY THE DOOR.  LAVERNE COMES DOWN THE STEPS CARRYING A STRAW FARMER'S TYPE HAT.

LAVERNE
Here you go, Rhonda.  One farmer's hat.  Be careful with it.  It was once worn by Mr. Ed.

RHONDA
(PUTS HAT ON.  AS MR. ED.) Thanks, Laverne.  (TAKES HAT OFF, NORMAL VOICE) This'll be great for the opening night cast party.

RHONDA STARTS TO LEAVE.  LAVERNE STOPS HER.

LAVERNE
Hey, Rhonda, you haven't heard from the Playboy Club yet, have you?

RHONDA
Why, yes, they called this morning.  I had to turn them down, of course.  What did you tell them?

LAVERNE
Well, uh, I was in the shower, and then I took out the garbage.  Oh, and then I had to take in the mail.  So I probably missed the call.

RHONDA
They called Rhonda at seven o'clock this morning.  What were you doing then?

LAVERNE
The mail came early today.

RHONDA
How odd.  He usually delivers my mail when I'm getting ready for bed.

RHONDA EXITS.

LAVERNE
Boy.  Who would want to get woken at 7 a.m. just to be a Playboy Bunny.

This was all left out and the filmed scene begins with Laverne waiting by the phone.  After Laverne gets the call from Hillary, in the script she says, "I wonder how you train for training," then she heads for the refrigerator and starts eating a carrot.  On the episode, she exclaims and then realizes there's no one there to celebrate with.  (Awwww!)

Frank coming in depressed and not wanting to deal with Laverne's happiness was kept, but not Laverne's "Maybe you could go to a funeral or something," and Frank's "Did that already.  They kicked me out.  Said I was bringing their spirits down."

Laverne sharing her happy news was kept, as was her surprise that he's not as happy as when she became a cheerleader.  The little cheer they do on the episode was added, but rather than Frank saying she didn't have to put a "pom-pom on her boom-chicka-boom," the script actually uses the word "butt."


Laverne bringing up senior prom and Frank reluctantly giving in must have come along in later drafts.  Here's how the last part of the scene (and the act) went in this script:

LAVERNE
Number 1, you don't have to look.  Number 2, Ma had great ankles.  And Number 3, I'm a big girl now, and if I want to try something, it's up to me.

FRANK
And you're stubborn, you know that?

LAVERNE
Yeah, stubborn.  That I got from you.

FRANK
Well get this from me.  You ain't gonna be a Playboy Bunny.

LAVERNE
Well get this from me.  You ain't gonna stop me.

So there's actually a conflict about Frank's disapproval in this version, which might've been too many threads for the episode once Cathy's singing came in.  Laverne referring to her mother as "Ma" feels off, since it's usually "Mom" for her I think.  The stuff with Rhonda is cute but unnecessary, especially since she presumably could get a straw hat from the theater's wardrobe department.

5 comments:

  1. I think she calls Josephine "mama" in AVTTC? I can't remember.

    Parts of this are cute, the conflict would've been welcome. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds right, but "Ma"?

      The conflict is sort of brought up but then immediately resolved in the filmed episode, like they felt Frank should react but they didn't want to spend too much time on it. Quite a change from the days when he stopped speaking to her because she didn't want an arranged marriage.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I can't imagine her calling Josephine "ma"

      YEP. And Double-yep. It's like him not giving a fuck about her dating Mike because at least he could give her kids.

      Delete
    3. The conflict is resolved in Scene E by the way. But yeah, Milwaukee-Frank wouldn't have given in so quickly if Laverne had wanted to join the Chicago Playboy Club. By "Sing Sing Sing," he's willing to marry her off to random men at Hoot Nite.

      Delete

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...