Sunday, January 3, 2021

"Moving In" script, Scene K

It doesn't say that this is the tag, but that's what it became.  We're back in the girls' apartment, the "same evening, a little later."

Shirley was supposed to be pacing nervously, rather than clutching Boo Boo Kitty.

Laverne's hug and kiss on the cheek for Frank was added, I'm guessing by Penny.

On the aired episode, Frank says he's been there "17 hours," which I assume is an exaggeration.  We lost the part of the scene after he exits:

SHIRLEY
What happened?

LAVERNE
I couldn't do it.

SHIRLEY
I'm so glad.  I mean, I'm only glad if you're glad.  Are you glad?

LAVERNE
I'm glad, Shirl.

SHIRLEY
And things will be exactly the way they were before.

LAVERNE
(HOLDING UP GREEN FUZZY DICE) Now they will.

SHIRLEY
There's some things we have to talk about, Laverne...

AS SHIRLEY BEGINS EXPLAINING HER RE-DECORATING SCHEME, WE:

FADE OUT

END OF ACT TWO

Some thoughts:
  • Exactly how long was Laverne gone?  I mean, it can't even be "evening" if she moved out at night and "several hours" passed.  I know it feels like seventeen hours to Frank, but it's still nighttime.
  • If we go by the script, then it's just a little later than Scene J, so Laverne couldn't have played guitar with David long, since she'd presumably have to pack and come home.  If we go by the aired episode, then Laverne and David got out of bed sometime before sunrise.
  • I wish they'd kept this little bit between the girls.  It would be a stronger episode if it had emphasized, as much as the script does, the girls' bond.
  • On the other hand, while David is developed more in the script in some ways, he's less likable in the pre-Sand version.
  • The Lavenny stuff is about equal in both versions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...