Tuesday, November 24, 2020

"Not Quite South of the Border" script, Scene J

It's back to the lobby, a short time later.


Here's what was left out of the beginning of what became a very short scene:

LAVERNE
Looks like we're not the only ones having a bad night.

SHIRLEY
This really gets my goat.

LAVERNE
Shirl, forget the goat.

SHIRLEY
There comes a time, Laverne, when even a reasonable person like myself gets pushed to the point where she could scream.

SHIRLEY SMILES CALMLY FOR A BEAT AND THEN LETS OUT A BLOOD-CURDLING SCREAM.  THE CROWD STARTS TO GATHER AROUND.  LAVERNE HITS SHIRLEY IN THE HEAD.

LAVERNE
Well, it's about time.

SHIRLEY
When I think of all the bottles we capped, the corners we cut just so we could save money to come here and be treated like dirt, I'm fed up to my chihuahuas.

LAVERNE
Her chihuahuas are my chihuahuas.  How about your chihuahuas?

THE CROWD MURMURS ANGRILY.

SHIRLEY
My fellow travelers, we paid good money to come here, and what did we get for it?

LAVERNE STARTS TO MOVE AROUND THE ROOM.

LAVERNE
I'll tell ya what we got!  Rooms with no walls, a bird bath for a pool, (SHE POINTS TO VENDING MACHINE) and a supper club that only takes quarters...

SHIRLEY
Not to mention the loss of our luggage.  Which, I might add contained my smart summer ensemble from Meckler's of Milwaukee.

LAVERNE
Shirl, you're losing 'em.

SHIRLEY
The point is, we got a royal gyp.  And this is one sucker who refuses to be licked.

The two pages with Frick made it in, but there was also this in the script, after the crowd takes Frick into his office for their refunds:

SHIRLEY
You know, Laverne, I wish now we had listened to your father.

LAVERNE
Whaddaya mean?

SHIRLEY
We should have gone to Brooklyn to visit your grandmother.

LAVERNE
Yeah.  She's got a fire escape.

SHIRLEY
Not only that.  Brooklyn is near Jersey.

LAVERNE/SHIRLEY
Near Jersey.

THEY EXIT INTO THE OFFICE.

And so ends Act Two.  I can see why this scene was cut for time, but I like some of the lines we lost, both for humor and character contrast between the girls.  I might've bumped the episode up to a C+ for "chihuahuas" alone.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, it definitely needed the bit that was cut for pacing alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm confused. Do you mean it needed to be cut out for pacing, or it needed that bit in there, even though it was cut for pacing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It needed to be in there to help it along a bit! But that's just me.

      Delete
    2. Ah, got it. And, no, it's not just you.

      Delete

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...