Monday, February 17, 2020

"The Playboy Show"

Image result for "The Playboy Show""The Playboy Show"
November 9, 1982
C+

Laverne, who lost her Bardwell's job after turning into a chicken in the store window and who is already bored with her aerospace job, applies to be a Playboy bunny, befriending fellow applicant Cathy (Penny M's real-life friend Carrie Fisher).  Squiggy is part of the audition process, having to harass the women, although he's unable to harass Laverne under pressure.  (He's apparently licked her arm multiple times when she's asleep!)  Hugh Hefner plays himself.  The episode isn't hilarious, but it has cheesecake and Fisher sings "My Guy."  (I guess it was worth paying for music rights to keep a plot-related song on the DVD.)

Ed Solomon would write two more episodes, but Joan Marks was done after this.  And Michael McKean directs his only episode for the series, although Lenny does not appear.

7 comments:

  1. Getty has a great on-set picture of Michael on the set of the episode.

    Penny and Carrie's chemistry almost saves this one for me.

    Weirdly, they always skip this one on Logo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it too suggestive for Logo or something? I like Penny and Carrie together but the set-up feels a little forced. Maybe they could've brought Cathy back under other circumstances.

      If you mean this pic, https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/the-playboy-show-airdate-november-9-1982-michael-mckean-news-photo/463941168, sa-woon! Why is MMK hotter when he doesn't smile? Plus the non-Lenny hair. (Fanning self!)

      Delete
    2. Nope, because they both show Married...with Children right after LAS and because they air "I Do, I Do" on the regular rotation.

      Agreed! How I also felt about Plout this season.

      YEP. Now you know what I meant about him going blonder and blonder during that year. Tho he is adorable when he smiles: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ERFttrgWkAA3REq?format=png&name=900x900 - From Used Cars, just a couple of years before that was taken. Sorry for the toaster quality.

      Delete
    3. I thought I'd replied to this last week, but I guess it didn't go through. Anyway, that's a great picture, and I'm seriously considering buying Used Cars to see Michael and David together in other roles.

      Delete
    4. Honestly, you should - I love Kurt Russell and between him and Michael and David's minor roles, it's worth watching, though very 80's and Porkyish in attitude. If you don't wait to pay for it it shows up on cable a lot, and I THINK Youtube has it for sale for about $1.99 at the mo.

      Also have you seen Young Doctors in Love?

      Delete
    5. I liked the trailer for Used Cars much more than the one for Young Doctors in Love. At least I can get Clue from the library, and I own Spinal Tap, Earth Girls Are Easy, and The Brady Bunch Movie, all fun in their own right, but each showing a bit of MMK's versatility.

      Delete
    6. EGAE was one of my favorite movies as a kid! And Clue is WONDERFUL - one of my personal childhood classics. I hope you like Used Cars!

      YDIL is worth it simply for the cute factor - plus MMK in a lead role!

      Delete

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...