Monday, February 3, 2020

"Love Is the Tar Pits"

Image result for "Love Is the Tar Pits"""Love Is the Tar Pits"
January 12, 1982
B-

This episode, written by Roger Garrett, is better than most of Season Seven so far, although it's another one focused on Lenny and Squiggy.  Lenny meets and quickly falls in love with a graduate student named Karen.  She finds him sweet, funny, and special.  However, Squiggy is jealous and wishes Karen would go away.  She does, to Columbia University.  There are some more nice insights into Lenny & Squiggy's friendship.  And I feel like Lenny's relationship with Karen is better defined than, for instance, Laverne's was with David.  The rest of the cast is used fairly well, although the balance still isn't quite right.  But, yeah, not at all bad for Season Seven.

Robert Arcaro, who plays the Man (presumably the one that Lenny sends to Laverne's apartment), would play a Guard the next season.

6 comments:

  1. Between the "Port Laverne" stuff, Lenny doing this to Laverne, calling her "Easy Going", etc. - there's kind of a little bit of a narrative thread afoot, isn't there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Laverne "DeFloozio" has definitely been Flanderized by this point. (And it'll get worse in Season Eight, as I recall.)

      Delete
    2. Yep. The big horn. They saluted.

      They back off after that but that Happens.

      Delete
    3. The big horn? I'm guessing that's a Season Eight thing.

      Delete
    4. Yep! I won't spoil it for you, but Monastery Story is a Thing that Happens.

      Delete
    5. Ah, I know of it (from your Manifesto I think), but Season Eight is almost as much of a blank in my memories as Season Seven. (I remember being annoyed at the time by the Laraine Newman episode because of anachronisms, but we'll see when I get there.)

      Delete

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...