Monday, February 3, 2020

"I Do, I Don't"

Image result for "I Do, I Don't" laverne""I Do, I Don't"
January 5, 1982
C

This Begel & Kite story isn't as bad as the previous episode but it does have a central flaw that it can't get past.  Shirley has an opportunity to have a wedding with all expenses paid, so she drafts Carmine as groom.  This isn't like when she got him to play groom for a few minutes so she and Laverne could use the honeymoon suite she won.  And it isn't like "I Do, I Do," since no one is stoned.  (Or being made to marry at gunpoint.)  She puts her dream wedding ahead of the wishes and wants of a man she claims to love, and it is only at the last minute, after he's reluctantly agreed in order to make her happy, that she comes to her senses.  At least Lenny and Squiggy are around to wear stunning "best man" tuxedos as they squabble over the position.

Note that this episode contains some free-floating innuendo, as Laverne compliments Carmine's (fishing) pole after he ogles her in her slip, and Squiggy compliments Rhonda's "cat" (Boo Boo Kitty, who attends but does not participate in the wedding).  And there is sort of a Shirerne shipping moment, when Laverne tells Shirley, "I love you but I can't marry you."

Minister John Miranda was Man in Restaurant the previous season.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...