Monday, February 24, 2020

"Defective Ballet"

Image result for "Defective Ballet""Defective Ballet"
January 11, 1983
C+

Nick LeRose soloed on this not-bad-for-Season-Eight (and not-bad-for-LeRose) episode, where Squiggy has a lookalike, a defecting Russian ballet star.  Not that the plot makes much sense even as such plots go, but it's kind of fun to see Lander in a dual role (and credited separately), and I thought Laverne and Ivan were cute together.  Also, it is interesting to see Squiggy struggle to tell Laverne thank you in the tag.

Note that when Squiggy hears that his wife is coming in, he first thinks of Lenny.  It is instead his doppelganger's wife, Viviana (Wendy Cutler, who was Mrs. Plout in '79, presumably no relation to the Sergeant), who Squiggy is happy to make out with.  Cutler posted a one-minute video from this scene in 2014 and it is still up there as of today.

Paul Willson, who's Kovitch, had appeared twice as the girls' old classmate Eraserhead.

7 comments:

  1. "No, Lenny and I are just good friends." Priceless. I loved the tag scene a bunch, perhaps the nicest Squiggy and Laverne scene we ever get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's the thing about Season Eight, I'm ready to despair and then there are sparks of life like this.

      Delete
    2. Well, I've made it through the worst, right? Please say yes!

      Delete
    3. Pros: You have Buzzards ahead of you. Cons: Do the Carmine and Councilman DeFazio await you. And the Squendolyn ep is um...well, it makes Carmine look look like a jackass.

      Delete
    4. Yeah, it's weird to think I have only nine episodes left. I don't expect to get through all of them next week, but maybe I won't have much to say about them. Anyway, no matter how good or bad, I'm in the home stretch.

      Delete

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...