Tuesday, December 14, 2021

"The Tenants Are Revolting," Scenes H and J

It's back to the girls' apartment, "the next day."  Frank's observation, after he counts himself as a "potato" for "one potato, two potato," was left out, "Wait a minute, I ain't supposed to be a potato."  They also skipped Edna saying, "You bribed the inspector," and this little bit:

SHIRLEY
...We couldn't let you live with your sister in Madison.

LAVERNE
She's the one you said always sucked her teeth.

And when Edna in the script says that this is like a miracle, Frank said, "If it was a miracle, my back would have healed," which obviously wouldn't have made sense without the inclusion of Scene D.

The last page of Scene H was dropped, after Edna's apology, except for sort of the hug:

LAVERNE
Aw, that's okay.

SHIRLEY
As long as we can stay here.  I mean, it's tough to find a one-bedroom basement apartment.  They're in such demand.

FRANK
Hey, if anything else goes wrong, call me.  I'm going to fix it.  Okay, everybody happy?

HE PULLS EVERYONE TOGETHER AND THEY HUG.

LAVERNE
You know, Pop, there is still the little hole in the roof that needs fixing.

FARNK [sic]
Hey, I said if anything was wrong, I'll take care of it.  (POINTS TO LAVERNE) One potato, (POINTS TO SHIRLEY) Two potato, (POINTS TO HIMSELF) three potato, (POINTS TO EDNA) four.  Be careful, Edna.  Don't hurt yourself.

ON EVERYONE'S REACTION, WE:

FADE OUT.

The tag is in the same location, "a few minutes later."  It basically aired as is, although there's some nice nonverbal interaction between Frank and Edna added for onscreen.

Thoughts:
  • The extra "potato" stuff with Frank is cute.
  • Edna's "dumb" sister in Madison is mentioned on air, but I can see how the teeth-sucking could be annoying.
  • The hug onscreen is one that Frank latches onto rather than initiates.
  • I like that the girls still feel lucky to live in the basement after about four and half years.  And no wonder they would be so impressed by their split-level in Burbank.
  • This is another episode that I gave a C+, and I feel like they did what they could with the script, which has some errors of logic that were mostly fixed.  Still, there are some cute moments, like of course the boys planning to eat Bosco if nuked, and I wish some of that could've been kept.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...