Wednesday, September 1, 2021

"Call Me a Taxi," Scene C

We go to the "Danceland Dressing Room - night."  Charmayne is "forty-five and obviously knows all the ropes."  Laverne is specifically wearing "her turquoise evening dress."  Shirley is wearing "a prom dress" and "a wrist corsage."

They left out Shirley saying that the man on the stairs wasn't wearing shoes, and Laverne replying, "Will you forget it.  We came here to earn money.  We're gonna give it our best shot."  And after Laverne says that Doris Day and James Cagney aren't coming, she added, "But you got me.  We're together, aren't we?  Wee got through Christmas in a mental hospital, didn't we?" And then there was this:

SHIRLEY
We certainly did --

LAVERNE
We'll get through this.

SHIRLEY
You're right.  Maybe I just feel funny working without my smock.

LAVENRE
You wanna go home and get your smock?

SHIRLEY
No.

LAVERNE
I think your dress is lovely.

SHIRLEY
Thanks.  Let's go to it, Laverne.

They dropped the last two lines of this scene, and act, Shirley's "How can I dance if I'm dead?" and Laverne's "Very slowly."

Thoughts:
  • So far with this script, they seem to be dropping lines more than changing any.
  • Charmayne is older than she seems onscreen, although it's hard to tell under all that powder.
  • It's always neat to see wardrobe notes within the actual script.
  • The continuity with the Christmas episode is also cool.
  • I just checked and most of Shirley's smock-less jobs came later in the run.
  • That's nice of Laverne to compliment Shirley's dress, although I wish Shirley returned the compliment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...