Thursday, July 8, 2021

"Angels of Mercy," Scene A

On July 27, 1976, a week before the Shooting Script for " 'Drive!' She Said" was submitted, and over two months before the second episode of Season Two aired, its Rev. Shooting Script came in.  Sometime before filming there were changes made, although I don't think anything as significant as in "DSS."  For instance, the first page and a half was mostly dropped from the opening scene, which is set in the "girls apartment - day":

LAVERNE IS IRONING.  THERE IS A HUGE AMOUNT OF CLOTHING THERE.  IN THE KITCHEN, HER FATHER, FRANK DE FAZIO IS UNDER SINK.

LAVERNE
How you doing with the sink, Pop?

FRANK MAKES GUTTERAL [sic] NOISE.

LAVERNE (CONT'D)
Does (REPEATS NOISE) mean you found the problem.

FRANK
Yeah.  (GETS UP)  The problem is I can't fix it.  Call your landlady.  Get a plumber.

LAVERNE
I told Mrs. Babish.  An old building like this needs a live-in plumber.  Thanks for trying, Pop.  (GOES TO SINK)  I'll have to do the dishes in the bathtub again.

FRANK
(STARES) Why am I staring, Laverne?

LAVERNE
(THINKS)  'Cause last time I did that I clogged up the bathtub drain?

FRANK NODS.

LAVERNE (CONT'D)
And ended up having to take a bath at the gas station?

FRANK NODS.

LAVERNE (CONT'D)
And you were embarrassed?

FRANK NODS.

LAVERNE (CONT'D)
It wasn't a thrill for me either.

FRANK
(SMILES AND HUGS HER)  I love you, muffin, but you and Shirley don't know how to take care of an apartment.

Onscreen, Laverne just thanks her father for fixing the drain, and then it goes into Frank's line.  The light in the refrigerator is described as "the brightest light in the world."  

In the script, Frank asks, "What happened to the granny apples?"  Laverne replies, "I ate them."  But onscreen she just gives him an apple.

For unknown reasons, Shirley is "dying for a Nehi grape" in the script but an orange drink onscreen.

This was omitted after Shirley says that Laverne could join up and help others:

LAVERNE
I already do that, I bottle beer.

SHIRLEY
(DEFENSIVE) Well, I prevent suffering.  Today a lady came into the hospital screaming in agony.  I closed the door so the other patients wouldn't hear it.

At this point, the spelling "vo-dee-o-do" is being used.  It's "Callihan" on page 9, and "Callahan" on p. 11.  Then it's back to "Callihan" on p. 18.

After Squiggy jokes that Laverne gave Jerry a bath, Lenny was scripted to say, in a "high voice," " 'Please, Jerry.  Not in front of the rubber duck...' "  And then he'd pantomime a slap.

For a twenty-page scene that covers the entire first act (and takes us thirteen minutes into the episode), this is surprisingly faithful.  The Frank & Laverne opening is cute but unnecessary, other than the first mention of Mrs. Babish.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the rubber duck line; it's very jealous!Len

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. He does say the "sweet on" line in the script, by the way.

      Delete

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...