Wednesday, June 16, 2021

"How Do You Say 'Are You Dead?' in German," Scene K

The tag is set in the apartment, just like the rest of the episode, although it is now "night."  The girls miming Globe Trotters moves was added, and the last couple pages of dialogue were dumped, after Shirley says the GTs make her laugh:

LAVERNE
The biggest laugh was when Goose Tatum threw the bucket of confetti in your face.

SHIRLEY
I knew it was confetti.

LAVERNE
You thought it was water.

SHIRLEY
I knew it was confetti.

LAVERNE
A girl who jumped so high she broke an usher's tooth thought it was water.

SHIRLEY
Let's not talk about it.  Where are we going tomorrow?

LAVERNE
To my father's for dinner.

SHIRLEY
Oh right.  Why does he want me to come to dinner?

LAVERNE
He says the way you eat spaghetti makes him laugh.

SHIRLEY
Laugh?  I know how to eat spaghetti.

LAVERNE
No, really, Shirl.  The right way to eat spaghetti is...  (PANTOMIMES CURLING SPAGHETTI ON FORK AND PUTTING IT IN MOUTH)  You do (PANTOMIMES SCOOPING UP SPAGHETTI, PUTTING IT IN MOUTH AND SUCKING IN SPAGHETTI).

THEY HEAD FOR BEDROOM.

SHIRLEY
I do not eat like that.  That's disgusting.

LAVERNE
    You do, too.  You always have spaghetti lash marks all over your chin.

SHIRLEY
Says you!  I'm a very neat eater.

LAVERNE
It's nothing to get upset about.  You're Irish.  You're not supposed to know how to eat spaghetti.

SHIRLEY
Well... you don't know how to eat potatoes.

LAVERNE
I don't get potato lash marks on my chin.

SHIRLEY
True, but you're not supposed to hold a potato on your fork and eat it like a popsicle.

THEY ARGUE ON.

The girls' argument is cute but definitely disposable, except they did sort of incorporate the part about Mr. DeFazio being amused by how Irish girl Shirley eats spaghetti (which feels really dated of course).

2 comments:

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...