Saturday, April 24, 2021

"Bowling for Razzberries" script, Scenes D, E, and H

Act Two opens on the same set, "a few hours later":

LAVERNE IS USING THE VAPORIZER.  SHE HAS A TOWEL OVER HER HEAD AND THE VAPORIZER SO SHE CAN TRAP THE STEAM.  SHIRLEY IS PACING.

SHIRLEY
Breath deep.  Breathe deep.

LAVERNE
I'm breathing.  I'm breathing.  My hair's getting curly.

That was cut out, as was the last page or so of Scene D:

DOCTOR
I want to hear your heart.  You'll have to open your robe.

LAVERNE
Couldn't you listen from the back.  You can hear it pretty good from back there.

DOCTOR
I know.  I have to listen from the front, too.  The robe, please.

LAVERNE
Actually, it's just a head cold.  Why don't you listen to my head.

SHIRLEY REENTERS FROM BATHROOM.

SHIRLEY
If you ask me, Doctor, it's the Hong Kong flu.

LAVERNE
Nobody asked you.

DOCTOR
The robe, please.

LAVERNE
I've got a better idea.  (TO DOCTOR) Can't you touch yourself and I'll tell you if that's the spot that hurts.


THE DOCTOR JUST STARES AT HER.

LAVERNE (CONT'D)
The robe, right?

LAVERNE OPENS JUST ENOUGH OF HER ROBE FOR THE DOCTOR TO FIT THE END OF HIS STETHOSCOPE IN.  HE DOES THIS.  LAVERNE REACTS.

LAVERNE (CONT'D)
Oooo, it's cold.

Onscreen, it goes right from Laverne's "Here I am" to a dissolve into Scene E, which is "a short time later."  The first page of that scene made it in, but this was left out after the doctor warns about pneumonia:

SHIRLEY
And die.

LAVERNE
I'm not gonna die.  I've gotta go see Karen tonight and go "raspberry".

DOCTOR
Why does she want to do that?

SHIRLEY
It's a long story...

The doctor saying he kind of likes Laverne and she has a great heart was added.  So was Shirley twice calling her friend "Vernie."  However, they left out Shirley testing to see if Laverne is really asleep by yelling, "Laverne, there's a naked man in the street."

Scene H, with Laverne waking up to find that Shirley has taken all her clothes, and then Laverne giving a sob story to the "Milwaukee Mission Lady," is intact except for the very end, where Laverne asks, "You wouldn't have an eight and a half bowling shoe, would you?", to which the Lady replies, "The poor child is delirious."

Thoughts:
  • The typist doesn't seem to have discovered the question mark until maybe Scene E.
  • Shirley telling Laverne how to breathe again shows that her mothering was more intense in the script than onscreen.
  • She also shows her nursing ambition here, eager to not only assist the doctor but to offer a diagnosis.
  • I wish they'd left in more of Laverne being shy around the young doctor.  I don't know if this was just cut for time or if the censor thought it was too suggestive.  It's odd, because we get less of Dr. Harold/Laverne onscreen, and yet that's where they hint that he'll be back, even if there's no payoff for this.
  • Wouldn't most people look if there was a random naked man in the street?  I still feel like this is another horny-virgin-Laverne line.
  • And now we know the size of her bowling shoe.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my God that question mark comment.

    Laverne does feel less revirginized in the episode.

    ALSO HA YES BUT I LOVE THAT COMMENT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I notice these things when I transcribe. And all the scripts go much lighter on exclamation points than I would.

      Laverne's "virginity" was a work in progress at this point.

      Which one? About the naked man?

      Delete

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...