Tuesday, February 2, 2021

"Perfidy in Blue," Scene H

Still at the funeral home, "an hour later."  Sqven and Lu Anne were simply supposed to have "their clothes in disarray" when they enter, rather than him making noises as she twirls him with his legs around her.  And there's no mention of the lipstick marks (or hickeys) that Lu Anne has left on Sqven.  This is what we lost after the others encourage Sqven's "good answer":

EULOGIST
May I continue?  Yes, we'll all miss Charlene Baublenik.  Not because she was a good wife and mother.  Not because (LOOKS AT NOTES) she was a fine saxophone player in high school.  No, we will miss Charlene Baublenik for one reason and one reason only.

LU ANNE
(IMPATIENT) Because she's gone.

SQVEN
What're you talking about?  She's right here.

Leonardo's line to Charlene, "I only wish I could have done more to you... for you" was cleaned up to just "I only wish I could have done more for you."  Squiggy's confession of infidelity was more specific in the script, "...Every Thursday for five years," rather than once a week on an unspecified day.  We missed Lu Anne's burn to Charlene, "Who did your make-up?  Emmett Kelly?"


We also missed Lu Anne telling Rhoda during the fight over the jewelry, "Rotate, Frenchie, I was here first."

When Charlene "rises from the dead," Sqven was supposed to tell her, "You know I lied about all those Thursday nights.  It was Wednesday."

This probably won't make you feel any better about Froda, but here's how that part of the reveal went in this version:

RHODA HUGS FRITZ.

RHODA
Papa!

FRITZ
No, not you.  I made a mistake.  You're the only one who's not my child.  You're my brother.

Charlene was understandably supposed to be "very angry" about her own sister trying to kill her, while Charlene seems more miffed in the episode.

I don't know if I'm more shocked that Fritz and Rhoda are brothers or that Charlene might be a mother.

5 comments:

  1. Whew @ the incest rev being organic to the original plot. I...Wow Re Fronda

    "I only wish I could have done more to you... for you"

    FILTHY! I love it and am sorry they cut it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least by the point of the Revised Shooting Script. Hypothetically, it might not have been there in earlier drafts. (Although Charlene and Lu Anne being sisters does add to the soapiness of their theft and attempted murder respectively.)

    Oh, come on, I think there's enough Charleonardo to satisfy all but the hungriest Shirlenny shipper.

    ReplyDelete

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...