Monday, February 1, 2021

"Perfidy in Blue," Scene E

Act Two is set at a "funeral home," during the day.  Except, for the filming they just redressed the girls' apartment set again.  Charlene was supposed to be "lying in state on a table surrounded by flowers," rather than propped up on a divan that's surrounded by flowers.  In the script, Sqven does call Charlene beautiful but not pure and sweet.  Also, Sqven blowing his nose (and tossing the handkerchief in his hat!) seems like a Landerian addition.  On the other hand, we lost this:

SQVEN SOBS OVER HER BODY, LOUDER THAN EVER.  CHARLENE'S HAND REACHES UP, STROKES HIS SHOULDER.  

SQVEN
The memory of you is so alive I can almost feel it.  In fact, I do feel it.

LU ANNE ENTERS.  CHARLENE'S HAND QUICKLY PLAYS DEAD AGAIN.  LU ANNE EMBRACES SQVEN.

And after Lu Anne tells him to "kiss up to me" and "kisses him passionately," there was this:

SQVEN ABRUPTLY BREAKS IT OFF.

SQVEN
No.  Not here in front of my dear departed wife.  I could never live with myself.

LU ANNE
Live with me.

SQVEN
That I could do.

THEY KISS MORE PASSIONATELY THAN EVER.

Charlene was supposed to "smack Lu Anne" rather than push her head, but the "I love it when you're rough" and "golf" exchange is similar, yet actually expanded for the filming.  Sqven was supposed to jump on Lu Anne again right before they exit.

This was omitted right after that:

CHARLENE SITS UP FURIOUS.

CHARLENE
You'll go off together over my dead body!  (BEAT)  They just did.

CHARLENE LIES BACK DOWN ON THE BIER.

I would say that the married couple are more ambivalent here than on the episode, with Charlene risking giving herself away to comfort Sqven in his grief for her, which would be toned down and he would seem less conflicted about making out in front of his "dead wife."  Also, why is Charlene upset about Lu Anne/Sqven going off together, when she's planning to run off with Leonardo?  And, my God, is that a Laverne/Squiggy proposal?  At least to shack up?  This is such a soap opera!  Oh, right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...