Sunday, February 28, 2021

"Blansky's Beauties," Episodes Number Nine and Ten

"Nancy Meets Pa Bates" aired on April 16th.  Some things of note:
  • In the opening, some of the Beauties flirt with Joey, and then Arnold wishes he was Joey.  So I guess he's widowed or divorced by this point?  ("Arnold's Wedding" had aired on March, 2, 1976.)  Or just a flirt?  I need to know this for my Nanold fic.
  • I don't know if I've ever mentioned it, but the dance numbers are terrible.
  • "I didn't mean to poke you with my pole."
  • I'm not even Southern and I'm offended by the "Arkansas" character.
  • Anthony asks Sunshine to help him get dressed.  Is this the creepiest twelve-year-old on '70s sitcoms or have I mercifully blanked out on the rest?  (OK, Little Earl on What's Happening!! had his moments, but he was only nine.  And hitting on a thirteen-year-old.)
  • Scott Baio in a leisure suit.  Yes, I'm going to screen-cap this....
  • Pa Bates is such a hick he's never heard of slot machines.
  • A gambling addiction?  This must be a Very Special Episode.
  • Arnold has a Rhonda-like tendency to refer to himself by his first name.
  • Charo reference.
  • Wow, that is the first thing on this series I actually laughed at, Nancy slapping a man for saying, "Let's shoot craps"!
  • They repeat the slap gag a few times.  Nancy and guest Warren Berlinger actually have good comic timing on it.
  • "Tomorrow I'm gonna have chitlin foo young on the menu."
  • Nancy and Arnold are going hiking in the desert and he promises her a good time.  See, you ship it now, right?
  • And Anthony hits on three girls his own age, playing spin the bottle.
  • This is Joe Glauberg's only BBeauties script, but he did write ten Happy Days episodes, including the historic My Favorite Orkan.

"To Nancy with Love" aired on April 30th.  Here are my notes:
  • Random Laverne cameo in the opening.
  • I could've lived my life happily without ever hearing Arnold sing, or call his waitresses "hot to trot."
  • Second laugh, Nancy's reaction to the intercom.
  • The camel is named Irma.
  • Oh, goody, a reprise of the "French Foreign Legion" number.  Except, the camel doesn't actually show up this time.
  • This is one of four episodes that Alan Rafkin directed, but the only one on this disc.  And Warren S. Murray is back, after doing the pilot.

3 comments:

  1. That's where the extra Laverne cameo from the opening credits come from!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, although probably shot at the same time as "Nancy Remembers Laverne."

      Delete
    2. Yep, she's wearing the same clothing.

      Delete

Angel Face

Once again, I'm reluctantly writing another non-obituary for a star of Laverne & Shirley .  Three times in just over three years is ...